shimpaku in arizona climate

bonsaiboyphx

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I found a really nice finished shimpaku tree for sale at auction. It's been living in California, 20 years old, styled by a bonsai master and expensive to buy.

I am located in Phoenix, AZ area, hot and dry. And I've never owned this type juniper, I have the procumbens and blue star and they do ok. But I've heard Shimpaku variety of Juniper isn't as tolerant of our dry heat. The phoenix bonsai society said they don't do well here, and the grafted ones do better, but I dont believe this one is grafted.

Anyone own a Shimpaku in Arizona or Text or somewhere with a lot of dry heat can share their experience? Should I go for it?

I'll be setting up shade cloth enclosure this summer.

Attachments

• 273563468_10219798508780785_1458189683110477728_n.jpg
    273563468_10219798508780785_1458189683110477728_n.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 46

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've seen that one on auction, sure is a beauty. I live in WA though, so no clue on how they'll do in AZ.

bonsaiboyphx

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I've seen that one on auction, sure is a beauty. I live in WA though, so no clue on how they'll do in AZ.
I know right. I keep checking to see if anyone has went ahead and bought it now. I'm really considering it. But even if i dont get that specific tree, the seller if friendly with the phoenix bonsai club, so i can go to his house next time Im in CA, and pick up something that way. He specializes in shohin shimpakus.

Grego83

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have several Shimpaku and live in the San Fernando Valley CA where it is also very hot and dry most of the year. The sellers microclimate is definitely less dry than it is here in the valley. However I know of many other bonsai enthusiasts and even nurseries out here where it is hotter/dryer that have Shimpaku on stock roots and they are happy. All of my Shimpaku but one are grafted and I will say yes in my experience the ones grafted onto San Jose or Prostrata seem to be more vigorous and happier. I would say the shade cloth is a good idea and protection from hot and dry wind - in my experience spider mites seem to love Shimpaku - but I just make sure to treat it with preventative like 3in1 and have some strong miticide for emergency. That is a very nice tree.

ack

Seedling
Reaction score
I have not had good luck with shimpaku varieties (including kishu and itoigawa). They have done well through the first summer but then seem to decline through the second summer. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, not sure. California junipers, on the other hand, do very well (as well as procumbens, San Jose, and the like). I'd recommend spending your energy and money on varieties like that rather than fighting an uphill battle with shimpaku. But, if you figure it out with shimpakus, let me know the secret!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How hot is it there?

In my area we are hitting 105-110 in the peak of the summer and i have a bunch of itoigawa Shimpaku and some Kishu.
All are doing well but its under 50% shade cloth.

If this is your first Shimpaku, i suggest to practice with low value piece first before buying a big ticket one.

thanks
-Chris

bonsaiboyphx

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
How hot is it there?

In my area we are hitting 105-110 in the peak of the summer and i have a bunch of itoigawa Shimpaku and some Kishu.
All are doing well but its under 50% shade cloth.

If this is your first Shimpaku, i suggest to practice with low value piece first before buying a big ticket one.

thanks
-Chris
In Scottsdale AZ is tops out at 115 -118 during the hottest period of summer. If your doing 50% shade cloth and your highest temps are slightly lower than mine, I'm thinking I should go with 60% -70% shade cloth. Good advice on practicing with low value instead of a finished big ticket tree. I ended up getting it anyway though, just couldn't help myself. The sensei of our bonsai club in Phoenix says he has killed many trees and that is part of the learning process, and I have certainly killed a few myself in my short time with this hobby, hopefully my new Shimpaku won't be added to the list.

Also, what about just keeping it inside on grow lamps and a humidifier for the hottest parts of summer? I know Junipers and all trees for that matter are not meant to be indoor, but I'm thinking just short term for July/August and then back outside under shade cloth.

bonsaiboyphx

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have not had good luck with shimpaku varieties (including kishu and itoigawa). They have done well through the first summer but then seem to decline through the second summer. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, not sure. California junipers, on the other hand, do very well (as well as procumbens, San Jose, and the like). I'd recommend spending your energy and money on varieties like that rather than fighting an uphill battle with shimpaku. But, if you figure it out with shimpakus, let me know the secret!
I just couldn't resist the Shimpaku so I've already got it home, it's supposedly a "kishu". Your in the phoenix bonsai society right ? We should hook up sometime, I'd like to see your trees and set up. Sounds like you have things pretty dialed in. I'm going to get an RO water system for sure in the next month, and make a better shade cloth structure before temps start climbing. My new Trident is pushing out new sets of leaves :)

Reactions: ack

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ya know I could like hold onto that for ya here in Oregon. Just send it up. I’ll send postcards. ;)

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I promise it would totally be still “yours”.

… sucka ;)

Top Bottom