Shimpaku Juniper Cascade 3 Year Progression

AcerSai

Seedling
Reaction score
I started this tree from a long whip in a 4" pot. I wired it into a twisty cascade, let it grow, and it's done wonderfully. This is the first tree I've ever been proud enough to call a true bonsai.

The fancy pot it's in was lovingly handcrafted by a friend in highschool, who by her own admission is no artist. But I love this pot, and display it proudly!

Spring 2015 after having been wired for a year, now in it's pot

Fall 2015

Early Spring 2016 First re-wiring, and refinement of smaller branches

Early Summer 2016

And now, Spring 2017

I'm very pleased with how this tree is coming along and look forward to seeing how it progresses. Any comments or input appreciated!

Peace! -Adam

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice! I like it a lot. You have really done justice to the material. When I look at the cascade I see a river running down a high steep mountain in china, dotted with trees living off the rivers water.

My only critique is that I would like to see it potted higher in the pot so I can see all the trunk, but that is an easy fix as it looks like you have not repotted it a couple years. When you do repot, really work the soil with a chopstick as you fill the pot to help compact it and the tree won't sink as much as yours has.

AcerSai

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for the poetic input! I agree about potting it higher. While I have an attachment to this pot, it's not necessarily for this tree. I'd like to see it up higher, in a taller, narrower unglazed pot.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you for the poetic input! I agree about potting it higher. While I have an attachment to this pot, it's not necessarily for this tree. I'd like to see it up higher, in a taller, narrower unglazed pot.

While I wouldn't say that pot is the best one for the tree, I do like it with the tree, the colour is nicemt-huashan4.jpg . This sorta kinda gives you an idea what I am seeing about the Chinese mountains and your pot

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the pot.

Sure pot it higher...

In That one!

Totally works for me.
Love the small foot.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

AcerSai

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought I'd be ostracized for having such a wonky pot, but I love it, and I'm glad to know it's well received!

Top Bottom