Shimpaku Juniper Cuttings - Will they survive?

Sur3in

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi..

I planted these cuttings from bonsai tree two weeks. The cuttings have changed to this colour. The cutting was dipped in rooting powder before planting in akadama soil and used tea leaves.

Will they survive?

1E9EE242-CD12-47DF-AC49-82B11C4D6408.jpeg24D9062B-D9F3-4CA7-AB2C-CA96C3821F7E.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The color change is not great, but they are not a lost cause until totally brown and brittle. Juniper cuttings can take as much as 18 months to fully root. During this time I leave mine outside, part shade but otherwise exposed to the wind rain snow & cold that mature junipers experience. They need a cold winter rest.

Sur3in

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m from Singapore.. Tropical weather :confused: Is there anything I can do to increase its survivability?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Keep them outside in the shade, mist them several times a day, and don’t let the soil get too soggy. Next time, try to use cuttings that are slightly bigger and have more foliage. These are a bit sparse, and that reduces your chances.
035027C6-8754-4532-A954-C6985C88AE85.jpeg

Sur3in

Seedling
Reaction score
Keep them outside in the shade, mist them several times a day, and don’t let the soil get too soggy. Next time, try to use cuttings that are slightly bigger and have more foliage. These are a bit sparse, and that reduces your chances.
View attachment 214014
Thank you for your advice Brian!

Top Bottom