Shimpaku juniper styling

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This little guy is my first bonsai. I obtained it via an intro to bonsai class at the end of July. They began as raw nursery stock we learned some basic wiring (I know it's sloppy!) and we're just sort of left to our whims on styling. I went with a basic informal style. I am assuming I'll soon need to rewire and so will probably have to keep working the branches. The only branch I'm really unsure about is that first one coming off the right side since he is inside the bend.....but it seems to fill out the void space nicely. Any thoughts on this thing? Am I on the right path with this tree?

Attachments

• IMG_6601.JPG
    IMG_6601.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6602.JPG
    IMG_6602.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 113

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, nice little tree. It is however, a little weak still. I would not do anything but water, fertilize for the next year. Just let it grow. It will regain strength. Get some branches on the inside (Which is now very bare; I think you went overboard when cleaning out the foliage). Then by next fall you have a tree ready for wiring again.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey, nice little tree. It is however, a little weak still. I would not do anything but water, fertilize for the next year. Just let it grow. It will regain strength. Get some branches on the inside (Which is now very bare; I think you went overboard when cleaning out the foliage). Then by next fall you have a tree ready for wiring again.
Thanks. That sounds like a good plan. There wasn't really any inside branching on this, but I did notice some buds, so I carefully wired around them, and now they're sprouting into juvenile foliage. He explained that junipers do backbud by snipping off the terminals, so I'm hoping it continues to fill out. I noticed when I was done that it did seem like I took off about 1/2-3/4. I'm actually kind of surprised it recovered so nicely since I plopped it right outside when I came home.

Am i headed in an ok direction with the shape? When I look at it, I feel like the top needs to swing right a bit and maybe i should make the movement a little harder and less subtle. Any suggestions?

Let it recover, and find a different teacher.

Well I don't really have a teacher, it was just an intro class at the local nursery. But $90 got us a potted tree and some rough ideas.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am i headed in an ok direction with the shape?
Main question is.. Do you like it. In principle, the basic shape, yeah. But there is a lot of room for improvement left ;)

For now, I really would leave it alone. Think about further work in 6-12 months, depending on development.

Although backbudding happens when the ends are snipped off, this is only true when the tree is strong and is creating runners. Taking the growing tips from weak junipers will make it even weaker. It takes a lot of work for a tree to create new buds and branches, so you only do this when the tree shows you: I am completely happy. Yours is not :)

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Main question is.. Do you like it. In principle, the basic shape, yeah. But there is a lot of room for improvement left ;)

For now, I really would leave it alone. Think about further work in 6-12 months, depending on development.

Although backbudding happens when the ends are snipped off, this is only true when the tree is strong and is creating runners. Taking the growing tips from weak junipers will make it even weaker. It takes a lot of work for a tree to create new buds and branches, so you only do this when the tree shows you: I am completely happy. Yours is not :)

Well, he is backbudding nicely and all the tips have new growth. So I'm assuming he isn't too sad.:) The buds were already there, so I was lucky in that regard.

I plan on listening to your advice of leaving it go for now, I was just asking about styling because it sounds like having a plan before you do anything is the typical best course of action. So I was trying to see what others may do with it when it comes time to rewire.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ha,...I had the same class -basically-earlier this April.
It seemed that for many of us beginners in the class had a tendency to get prune heavy and make little poodle like topiary trees.
Have basically let mine chill this summer and strengthen up!
Yeah, like the others have noted: I would just let this one be till next year. 😀

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My intro class shimpaku.

Attachments

• 4BE863CA-C383-4373-B733-A627575ED6C4.jpeg
    4BE863CA-C383-4373-B733-A627575ED6C4.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 65

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@PABonsai I agree with everyone in that no work until next year. Right now the tree is pretty straight trucked. In the future see if you can get more movement. Also the lower left branch is similar in thickness to the trunk. That makes them compete for your attention. In general I would jin something like that. However in your case you don't have many other branches so maybe not.

Top Bottom