Shimpaku Juniper Twisting

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was wondering about what size or age does shimpaku junipers start to twist up? I was watching a video on youtube where they were talking about field grown shimpaku and the ones shown were all displaying the twisted trunks. The ones in the video were around 1.5-2in diameter trunks. I have a little one that I am really hoping to make a nice shohin with a heavy twisted trunk.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
James,

Apply wire, twist, let grow. Size and age dependent on how well you grow it and how long you wait. In ground quicker, more likely than not.

Regards,
Martin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Right, they don't twist by themselves. Twisted trunks are either formed by some environmental factor like wind, or somebody with wire when they're young.

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
thanks guys, the impression that I had gotten from the videos and a few people that I have talked with was that the species would naturally twist up on itself. I have another tree to wire up this spring then.

Reaction score
This is how I twist my itoigawa junipers to give you that yamadori look...

Attachments

• IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 252

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about the bark stripping method?

Ive read the wire gets left in on purpose.

Trees respond to music. Maybe just play the song? ! Lol

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cool. I have a juniper I'm developing twists on. After seeing these pics, I want to make the twists more dramtic.

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
thanks everyone for the replies and the links.

Smoke, that tutorial that you did on the other thread is exactly what I was interested in. I would like to learn how to take juniper and give it a twisted yamadori look. Doing this by having the trunk and branches curving and twisting around, having jins and shari mixed all into one nice little package.

I will have try some of the suggestions that I have read about here with my little shimpaku juniper as well as a couple other junipers that I currently have.

My goal is to make something like this someday.

http://samedge.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/09l.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom