shimpaku leaner

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Bought this shimp last year I really liked how tall and slender it was . Had a nice healthy canopy for most part. One side looked to have been shaded out and was beginning to decline. Just did a repot and HBR last night. The rootball was a big ball of sand so I went a little easy. I haven't had time to really sit down and style this tree but I did remove the top and will be beginning to build a new apex. Decided to make jin of the old apex. I will post more as it progresses.

20160324_191653.jpg 20160324_192654.jpg

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start, I wonder if a small opening of the foliage in the centre could give a view of the trunk at the bend? My eye just gets a little lost at the first foliage pad. I'm sure you'll sort it when you do get a chance to sit down with the tree.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes the branch coming straight out will be removed. The lower part of the trunk is actually really twisted but I've adjusted what may be the front now to the picture show. It does lean toward the viewer maybe a little.more than most would like but I think it makes it an interesting piece in person. There is another branch at the top that,will be jinned and then really need to complete wire and adjust..I have potted and wired over 30 trees the past couple of weeks so I haven't been able to give this one much attention , but it is starting to catch my eye more. So much that I stuck it on the pedestal. It's going into the greenhouse for a bit to recover from the potting .

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it will be a fun project. Can wait to see updates.

Thanks for sharing.

MauroUna

Sapling
Reaction score
Love it! Will be a fun project over the years . Would like to see it rotated counter clockwise 10-15 degrees to hide the connecting point of the Jin on top.

Either way I would be stoked to have this in my collection!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you recently made the Jin apex, strip the bark off now while it's still green. It's easy to remove. If you let it dry up, it's really hard to remove.

On further review, it looks like you did remove the bark. Now get a scraper tool, and scrape off the little bumps. Those give the Jin a juvenile appearance.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
[QUOTE="Adair M, post:] Now get a scraper tool, and scrape off the little bumps. Those give the Jin a juvenile appearance.[/QUOTE]

Good eye! @Adair M

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
IMG_2392.JPG Almost a year later , Bjorn and I will be working on this one along with the twin trunk prostrata , also may be bringing the grafted clump if we have the time :D

This one is still a hot mess roots and all , I'll take a look at the this spring. I removed biting wire and did some thinning on this one tonight can't wait to fine tune it

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, this is a nice progression. How'd you get that little curve in the lower trunk above the soil line? Was that always there?

Top Bottom