Shimpaku Pre bonsai

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I can’t find any good shimpaku pre bonsai for $10 - $40 only . Do you know what websites have it ? Also would a normal nursery have it ?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can’t find any good shimpaku pre bonsai for $10 - $40 only . Do you know what websites have it ? Also would a normal nursery have it ?
For 10-40 usd you cannot expect to get much more than a few years' old cutting, tbh. You will certainly not get good prebonsai for that money.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
For 10-40 usd you cannot expect to get much more than a few years' old cutting, tbh. You will certainly not get good prebonsai for that money.
Oh I thought I would because I see crazier/extreme species cheap like 30 and I would think shimpaku would be easy

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Shimpaku is slow to grow. Even with good conditions it takes 3-5 years to grow finger thick trunks.
Normal shimpaku growth habit is straight trunks. Unworked stock can be disappointing if you expect to make a bonsai with an interesting trunk.
Better stock has been wired and bent when small, often several times over 2-3 years. All that effort and expertise costs the grower so expect to pay for good material.
Beware of sites showing 'sample' photos. It can be really hard to see trunk and branch detail through all the foliage. Even more difficult in photos so can be hard to tell really good from plain.

A lot will depend on your definition of 'good' and how good is good enough. If you can find cheap good luck.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Try and find a local bonsai nursery. There has to be something in NJ, if not you can always make the drive to rochester.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Try and find a local bonsai nursery. There has to be something in NJ, if not you can always make the drive to rochester.
Yeah there is only one 2 hours away but I can probably convince my dad or stepdad to bring me

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For Shimpaku in the under $50 range, you are generally looking for pre-bonsai. I highly recommend the Shimpaku cultivars 'Kishu' and 'Itoigawa' if you can find them. Superior to regular shimpaku. The following are some possible sources. in addition Juniperus procumbens is not bad for bonsai.

For Procumbens Juniper - Cable is a member of BNut.

For 'Kishu' cultivar of Shimpaku - Brent is a member of BNut.

Wigerts has a continuously changing inventory, sometimes Junipers are available. They are BNut members.

for Juniper scopulorum & rigida - under $20 each

Here is a list of on line bonsai retailers.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Superfly in Harrisburg usually had some. I picked one up that's just sitting on my deck. Been way to busy to do anything lately.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Superfly is a good one to shop

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Superfly is a good one to shop

I was going to order some of the plastic training pots...You guys trust them? Do you like the quality? I've never ordered from them online.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was going to order some of the plastic training pots...You guys trust them? Do you like the quality? I've never ordered from them online.
I don't know about the store, but I have bought the same generic plastic training pots locally. The quality is pretty OK. But it is what it is: plastic. It looks better than nursery pots, they're pretty sturdy and they seem to show no discoloration or breakdown after a year and a half.

Top Bottom