Shimpaku Repot - Pot Choice

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Happy 2022 fellow BN fam!! Hope this year is off to a great start for everyone. I wanted to gather some thoughts on pot choice for my Shimpaku that I acquired from @mattspiniken in late summer 2021. The tree has passed from several BNr’s through tree years since it started at Evergreen Grarden works.
Please let me know which pot choice (similar) you believe would best suit the tree. I have my preference, but would love the groups thoughts.

I would like to get the tree into a darker pot. and have superimposed some ideas below. The description of each photo is below.

Which do you prefer? Or something else?

Photo 1: Tree it its current container. Not sure the potter (will send photo of the kiln stamp when the snow clears) or how long it’s been in it.

Photo 2: Yixing unglazed. The tree was in a similar but smaller container some years ago while under @Brian Van Fleet care.

Photo 2: Ron Heinen unglazed with some texture. Been a huge fan of Heinen’s work and have several of his pots.

Pot 3: Custom from Sam Miller. I like that this one is a blend between the 2 previous and am talking to Sam about making something similar.

Thanks everyone and happy 2022!!!

Attachments

• 54F74904-11D0-4277-BA60-35FFFB346277.jpeg
    54F74904-11D0-4277-BA60-35FFFB346277.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 177
  • F810621F-8E0B-4550-8DC5-63D2F08887E1.jpeg
    F810621F-8E0B-4550-8DC5-63D2F08887E1.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 164
  • D457ECB2-821A-4029-BCEF-B395F112D559.jpeg
    D457ECB2-821A-4029-BCEF-B395F112D559.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 27EA65D9-73F4-47E1-AD7B-A4AC8F87878E.jpeg
    27EA65D9-73F4-47E1-AD7B-A4AC8F87878E.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 162
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a photo from page 4 of the link below to the tree from many moons ago where you can see the tree in a pot with similar color as the Xiying above.

1641063277620.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @coachspinks & @Colorado! Hard to argue with the understatement of the Yizing. Still torn.

What’s everyone’s preferred planting medium for Shimpaku? I’m leaning 1 part Akadama, 1 part lava, 1 part pumice.

I’m thinking of repotting a few days before I move to Orange County, CA I know it’s plenty early for Denver.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks @coachspinks & @Colorado! Hard to argue with the understatement of the Yizing. Still torn.

What’s everyone’s preferred planting medium for Shimpaku? I’m leaning 1 part Akadama, 1 part lava, 1 part pumice.

I’m thinking of repotting a few days before I move to Orange County, CA I know it’s plenty early for Denver.
I don't have any as nice as that one, but I do have 2 older shimpaku and 8 - 10 younger ones and all do well with an inorganic mix. Mine are in Clay King right now.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Pot 2 or 3. Glad to see that Shimpaku, it has some history here for sure. Want some color on those pots?
The guy I bought pot 1 from was an a- - and I really wanted it off my benches; he was old guard and knew everything (wrong), and has passed.
I traded that shallow Chinese antique to Matt O at 2014 Nattys and later that day I saw Kathy Shaner buy it.
Ron Heinen is one of my best bonsai buddies, and we used to work on trees almost every Sunday afternoon when we still lived in Iowa. He is making some great pots now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot 2 or 3. Glad to see that Shimpaku, it has some history here for sure. Want some color on those pots?
The guy I bought pot 1 from was an a- - and I really wanted it off my benches; he was old guard and knew everything (wrong), and has passed.
I traded that shallow Chinese antique to Matt O at 2014 Nattys and later that day I saw Kathy Shaner buy it.
Ron Heinen is one of my best bonsai buddies, and we used to work on trees almost every Sunday afternoon when we still lived in Iowa. He is making some great pots now.
Thanks for the thoughts and information about the tree (and pots) Brian!

My choice was the Ron Heinen as well and I think I am going to try moving forward with that. I'm a HUGE admirer of his work and have begun amassing a nice collection of his containers - glazed and unglazed (both are spectacular). I think this tree deserves something like that, although its been keeping me up at night wondering which is the right choice.

I'm truly honored to have a tree with such a pedigree! Not sure I deserve it or can do it justice, but damn sure looking forward to trying!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless there is a HUGE logistical benefit to repotting before the move, I wouldn't do it.

One insult a season right? That move is an insult if it goes perfectly. If...it goes perfectly.

I really like the yellow pot it is in now most. Except the feet are too tall and it could afford a little wider.

Second is the shallow joint Brian had it in, but I think it's a bit too fem for a rectangle.

I really dislike the horizontal banding, even of the second pot, the other two are worse.

It plays against the vertical banding in the tree.

Feels much more pleasant and comfortable sans banding.

I think your best option is a custom SM joint with no banding, in an oval shape similar to the size of the rectangle, maybe a hair deeper.

FTR....I think you'll do it justice by digging into this idea.....

It's easier to Love a Potter and do their work and yours injustice by wanting to get a tree in one than it is to Honor a Potter by loving the pots, amassing a superb collection of them and holding fast till you find a tree which is highly suitable.

I see that Heinen pot most suited to a spruce or a pine, something with a more horizontally planed branch structure that would play nicer with the horizontal band of the pot.

The bands are to loud of a stop when the eye travels back down that trunk, they will prevent the eye from moving on to the accent and back up into the display.
That yellow pot, blends with the deadwood therefore allowing the eye to continue moving smoothly on to the accent plant.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless there is a HUGE logistical benefit to repotting before the move, I wouldn't do it.

One insult a season right? That move is an insult if it goes perfectly. If...it goes perfectly.

I really like the yellow pot it is in now most. Except the feet are too tall and it could afford a little wider.

Second is the shallow joint Brian had it in, but I think it's a bit too fem for a rectangle.

I really dislike the horizontal banding, even of the second pot, the other two are worse.

It plays against the vertical banding in the tree.

Feels much more pleasant and comfortable sans banding.

I think your best option is a custom SM joint with no banding, in an oval shape similar to the size of the rectangle, maybe a hair deeper.

FTR....I think you'll do it justice by digging into this idea.....

It's easier to Love a Potter and do their work and yours injustice by wanting to get a tree in one than it is to Honor a Potter by loving the pots, amassing a superb collection of them and holding fast till you find a tree which is highly suitable.

I see that Heinen pot most suited to a spruce or a pine, something with a more horizontally planed branch structure that would play nicer with the horizontal band of the pot.

The bands are to loud of a stop when the eye travels back down that trunk, they will prevent the eye from moving on to the accent and back up into the display.
That yellow pot, blends with the deadwood therefore allowing the eye to continue moving smoothly on to the accent plant.

Sorce
You make some OUTSTANDING points. I know the current pot match’s the deadwood perfectly, but I do want to get it into something darker.

I own the Heinen pot - perhaps for my Redwood pic below - but am also still hoping to visit more with Sam Miller about something as well.

The biggest thing that made sense to me is re: the verticality of the live veins, vs the horizontal movement in the texture/color of the 2 pots. makes perfect sense.

great thoughts and exactly why I posed the question here.

to be continued….

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ended up having Sam Miller work on a custom for the tree which should be ready in the next few weeks. I will be sure to update the thread with the pot assuming it works out. I really liked @sorce comments about the horizontal features of the previously posted pots against the vertical features of the tree and agree this is something that would improve the overall composition - at least in my opinion.

I own the Heinen unglazed textured pot, so now becomes the fun chore of choosing a tree for it. Perhaps my Coast Redwood from Mr. Shimon or Ponderosa would look great in this one!

I really appreciate the thoughts from those who shared them, your keen, trained eyes are helping me learn the art of match pots to trees and it something I'm loving learning about. As opposed to liking a pot, liking a tree and slapping em together.

I look forward to sharing more as this comes together, and assuming it does.... who needs a large tan unglazed pot???

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ended up having Sam Miller work on a custom for the tree which should be ready in the next few weeks. I will be sure to update the thread with the pot assuming it works out. I really liked @sorce comments about the horizontal features of the previously posted pots against the vertical features of the tree and agree this is something that would improve the overall composition - at least in my opinion.

I own the Heinen unglazed textured pot, so now becomes the fun chore of choosing a tree for it. Perhaps my Coast Redwood from Mr. Shimon or Ponderosa would look great in this one!

I really appreciate the thoughts from those who shared them, your keen, trained eyes are helping me learn the art of match pots to trees and it something I'm loving learning about. As opposed to liking a pot, liking a tree and slapping em together.

I look forward to sharing more as this comes together, and assuming it does.... who needs a large tan unglazed pot???
Nice! I can't wait to see it in a new pot. Its definitely ready. I love Sam Miller's work and have many of his pots, I love them all.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wanted to update the thread after finally settling on a container and getting the juniper repotted today. It was extremely potbound and saw some tip dieback because of some root issues that were hopefully addressed today (tip dieback seen here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/juniper-winter-dormancy-or-other-problem.53681/ ),

Hopefully the tree’s new home will bring it back to health. Please share your thoughts/critiques on the pot choice for the tree. I ended up going with a smaller Ron Heinen rectangle that I think works really well with the tree. Though the pot is narrower than it’s previous one, it’s also a bit deeper which I hope helps it build some strength back. Ron is my favorite potter and I’ve been fortunate to acquire several of his pots over the last few months. This is one of my favorite of my trees so only seemed fitting to put the 2 together. Let me know what ya think 😃

Attachments

• 88052E01-EC42-493D-B8AB-B565F592FFAA.jpeg
    88052E01-EC42-493D-B8AB-B565F592FFAA.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 58

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great combo. Ideally it would be planted a bit deeper so the soil level is flat and not mounded. Watch the water so those roots above the rim don’t dry out and die off. That would create some issues at the nebari level over time.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Agreed, great choice! Love the Japanese-inspired aesthetic of the container with the shimpaku. Looks awesome 😎

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great combo. Ideally it would be planted a bit deeper so the soil level is flat and not mounded. Watch the water so those roots above the rim don’t dry out and die off. That would create some issues at the nebari level over time.
Thanks @Brian Van Fleet. Noted. I think part of that is that we tilted the tree ever so slightly forward which made it sit a little higher. I’ll be vigilant about watching the roots towards the top.
Agreed, great choice! Love the Japanese-inspired aesthetic of the container with the shimpaku. Looks awesome 😎
Thanks TJ!! We’ve been talking about getting this one repotted for a little while and I finally got the chance to do it! Wish you could have been there to repot with me. Enjoy the snow 🤪

Top Bottom