Shimpaku - root over rock?

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've not seen many Shimpaku root over rock plantings. Are these less common?

I have a nice rock that I think would accommodate a root over rock planting nicely and I'm pondering a Shimpaku on this. There is a groove in the top about 1.5" deep that runs from the upper left to the lower right in the second picture(roughly parallel to the proposed front of the rock) that would hold the base of the trunk nicely to grow in to. This rock is roughly 10" tall.

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

Attachments

• rock_1.jpg
    rock_1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 85
  • rock_2.jpg
    rock_2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
somegeek,

Root-over-rock junipers are not very common.

One probably reason that I have found is that the roots remain very flexible and they do not really grasp the rock very well. From my experience it takes a long time (10 years or more) before the roots develop a good hold. Even when the roots have stabilized over the rock, they do not spread out over the rock like the roots of a maple.

None-the-less, that looks like a great rock for a root-over-rock composition. I would encourage you to give one a try.

Regards,
Paul

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the reply, Paul.

Here's a few more pics.

This is the groove on top on the backside where the main trunk would rest. Would the trunk grip here after a while as it grows and gets a bit pinched in there?

rock_4.jpg

I'd like to have this come over the top to have a small cascade.

rock_5.jpg

This is the front exit to the groove above.

rock_3.jpg

Newbie question... Over time, is it possible that the root would grow large enough to choke itself if I routed one through this hole? Similar to a tourniquet? Or do roots behave differently?

somegeek

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The root will not "choke itself off. It will grow to the size of the crack then over the edges. It may even split the rock.

The issue with ROR junipers is TIME. Conifer roots are not nearly as vigorous as deciduous tree roots. They take longer to adapt to the rock.

Also, to get a good ROR planting you generally have to start with a very small tree with a very underdeveloped root system that can be convincingly combined with the tree over time. Plunking a three year old sapling with splayed or wide root bases results in a crappy looking ROR, as the roots don't grip the rock from the nebari. ROR with rocks simply inserted into gaps in a bigger root mass are never convincing and look odd permanently.

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The root will not "choke itself off. It will grow to the size of the crack then over the edges. It may even split the rock.

The issue with ROR junipers is TIME. Conifer roots are not nearly as vigorous as deciduous tree roots. They take longer to adapt to the rock.

Also, to get a good ROR planting you generally have to start with a very small tree with a very underdeveloped root system that can be convincingly combined with the tree over time. Plunking a three year old sapling with splayed or wide root bases results in a crappy looking ROR, as the roots don't grip the rock from the nebari. ROR with rocks simply inserted into gaps in a bigger root mass are never convincing and look odd permanently.

Thanks for the reply, rockm. I rooted a 6" cutting earlier this year that would fit the bill here I think to start anew.

somegeek

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
I have been doing a juniper root over rock for about 4-5 years now.
When I uncovered it last year it was holding on pretty well and the roots where molding well but with my rough handling doing a first styling it eventually came loose. So wrapped it up tight agian with the new roots that had been emerging and come back in a few more years agian :)
It is a long term project.

Attachments

• juni.jpg
    juni.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 161
  • juni2.jpg
    juni2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice sanity check to see others are doing this. :)

I thought this was an interesting way to secure the roots.

somegeek

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, the method on the link isn't the best. I allows the tree to push more adventitious roots away from the rock (which is entirely too big and clunky for a good ROR, by the way).

One of the most effective ways is to use non-adhesive plastic tape--they sell it at garden centers. Wide plastic tape can be wrapped around ALL the descending roots along the rock, forcing them downwards. The whole package, wrapped roots and all, can be planted in elongated containers that allow gradual removal from the top down...Those containers can be anything from stacked wooden frames, to long plastic weave bags used for sandbags...as you remove the top layers over the years (and it does take a few years, even with trident maples), the soil is also removed, forcing the roots to seek the lower soil level...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The whole package, wrapped roots and all, can be planted in elongated containers that allow gradual removal from the top down...Those containers can be...long plastic weave bags used for sandbags...as you remove the top layers over the years (and it does take a few years, even with trident maples), the soil is also removed, forcing the roots to seek the lower soil level...

Now That's a great idea! I did a couple ROR tridents this spring, and my "mental bookmark" on the project was "a good start, but will need to re-wrap whatever grows next year." I'll probably plant them in the weave bags on the ground next spring and let them go for a few years...

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
About to check my shimpaku ror planted in 2019.... and i used thin aluminum wire to hold the roots to the rock ( dumb way as the plastic non adhesive tape is way better) and even more dumb i bare rooted and tied tbe wire to this cool volcanic rock. To make matters worse I used a ceramic pot so i cant slowly take it apart from the top down! I cant believe the juniper survived initially after the abuse it received from bare rooting and fastening it to a lava rock with bonsai wire. Lazy and Insane. After reading bonsai techniques 1st edition i was trying to find anyone in this ROR forum of bonsai nut that mentioned this method and this is the first thread someone has mentioned it! Im going to replant mine after i make a box with slats that can be removed every few months and also take wire off roots and replace with tree tape. Best advice so far thank you rockm!

ACooke

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
One of the most effective ways is to use non-adhesive plastic tape--they sell it at garden centers. Wide plastic tape can be wrapped around ALL the descending roots along the rock, forcing them downwards. The whole package, wrapped roots and all, can be planted in elongated containers that allow gradual removal from the top down...Those containers can be anything from stacked wooden frames, to long plastic weave bags used for sandbags...as you remove the top layers over the years (and it does take a few years, even with trident maples), the soil is also removed, forcing the roots to seek the lower soil level...

Perhaps a stupid question; but if I'm understanding correctly this would pretty much completely seal the roots against the rock and therefore mean no soil (and probably little water) comes in direct contact with the wrapped roots? It sounds like I'm alluding to a further question there haha but that's really the extent of it; just to make sure I'm correctly seeing the picture you're painting.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps a stupid question; but if I'm understanding correctly this would pretty much completely seal the roots against the rock and therefore mean no soil (and probably little water) comes in direct contact with the wrapped roots? It sounds like I'm alluding to a further question there haha but that's really the extent of it; just to make sure I'm correctly seeing the picture you're painting.
Starting with saplings with very long initial rooting helps with this, as the ends of those roots are left i contact with the soil. And yeah, pressing the roots up against the rock with nothing between the rock and roots is the aim--as much constant contact with the rock as possible. It never works out perfectly and water definitely gets in.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am making juniper ROR.
For fixing I use Alu foil. No soil between the rock and the foil. Wrapped rock in a deep pot and fill with substrate to the top of the wrapping.

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Back in 2021 I started a Procumbens ROR.

I used raffia to strap the tops of the roots to the rock (petrified wood) and then added some plastic collars around the entire assembly, and filled with soil.
Screenshot_20240229-075449_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240229-075452_Photos.jpg

My only regret was messing with it too early, just less than a year later. Note the addition of steel wire to stabilize the plant. Roots looked great though! New pot and removed collars, replaced with just raffia and sphagnum.
Screenshot_20240229-075141_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240229-075146_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240229-075151_Photos.jpg

Another year (early 2023). As mentioned earlier, these are very unstable to start with. I feel that if I hadn't messed with it, and left it in the collars for another year or two, these roots would have thickened and been much more stable.
Screenshot_20240229-075004_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20240229-074858_Photos.jpg

Not trying to hijack this 10+ year old thread but thought people would like to see actual pictures if a ROR Juniper project.

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
I took it out of the ceramic pot and this is the method im going to try. Going to take one slat off every 2 months. Will make a new thread when I start to take them off.

Attachments

• 17110549995271975518891731026592.jpg
    17110549995271975518891731026592.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom