Shimpaku Styling - Tak Yamaura field grown junipers styled by myself

MrJesseStrong

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's 3 Shimpaku junipers Ive styled recently. Tak Yamaura is Western Canada's most recognized bonsai professional with a history going back to Japan in the 60s and 70s. He owns a great nursery here in Surrey, BC. Most of the field grown junipers and black pine in my garden I have acquired from Tak. Here are my three most recent trees I've styled. I'm posting before and after photos so you can see the full extent of the work done. Thanks very much for looking!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 105
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5344.JPG
    IMG_5344.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5345.JPG
    IMG_5345.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5346.JPG
    IMG_5346.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5347.JPG
    IMG_5347.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 105

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like the first the most. Personally, I think the other two have too much deadwood. But it is easier to reduce deadwood over time... not so easy to add it back if you go too far!

MrJesseStrong

Seedling
Reaction score
I like the first the most. Personally, I think the other two have too much deadwood. But it is easier to reduce deadwood over time... not so easy to add it back if you go too far!
Yeah always easy to reduce! Actually, I plan on steambending the main deadwood lines to pull them in closer and behind the foliage pass. I'll reduce some of the dead wood as well but I want to keep it all while I steambend so I have options. I appreciate your input!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The first looks most finished, just some ''refinement'' and it could be shown.

I like the second, the best. From nebari to top of living foliage it is an attractive arrangement of bends and curves, all in the right places. (at least for a quick 1 minute look). The deadwood is too heavy, but not wildly so, thin it slowly to avoid removing too much. I would try to keep the height of the deadwood, just shorten the length of the side branches of deadwood, a little at a time. Refining the foliage pads will over time will really make it dramatic.

Third the nebari doesn't look as nice as the other two. Its is nice, in a few years it will be better, though I doubt it will be as striking as the first two.

MrJesseStrong

Seedling
Reaction score
The first looks most finished, just some ''refinement'' and it could be shown.

I like the second, the best. From nebari to top of living foliage it is an attractive arrangement of bends and curves, all in the right places. (at least for a quick 1 minute look). The deadwood is too heavy, but not wildly so, thin it slowly to avoid removing too much. I would try to keep the height of the deadwood, just shorten the length of the side branches of deadwood, a little at a time. Refining the foliage pads will over time will really make it dramatic.

Third the nebari doesn't look as nice as the other two. Its is nice, in a few years it will be better, though I doubt it will be as striking as the first two.
Thanks very much for the kind words! The second will definitely have less deadwood by next spring. The height will be kept but with a bit of steambending to bring it slightly behind the foliage...the bottom two branches that shoot out to the right will be the first I reduce. I think even just that will dramatically improve the balance. As for the nebary on the third to be honest it's actually pretty nice. The angled pot makes it tough to see but when I transplant it into a bonsai pot it will be far more striking. Thanks very much for taking the time to leave your thoughts! I'm looking forward to posting updates of these in proper pots.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks very much for the kind words! The second will definitely have less deadwood by next spring. The height will be kept but with a bit of steambending to bring it slightly behind the foliage...the bottom two branches that shoot out to the right will be the first I reduce. I think even just that will dramatically improve the balance. As for the nebary on the third to be honest it's actually pretty nice. The angled pot makes it tough to see but when I transplant it into a bonsai pot it will be far more striking. Thanks very much for taking the time to leave your thoughts! I'm looking forward to posting updates of these in proper pots.
Steam bending does not have a good long term track record. Be careful about relying on it for final results.

MrJesseStrong

Seedling
Reaction score
Steam bending does not have a good long term track record. Be careful about relying on it for final results.
I've done it a couple times. Not on anything quite as thick as the tree I'm considering now but it has been okay. I figure with that tree the deadwood overpowers the foliage mass. It has to be reduced or brought closer to the foliage. If the steam bending fails then I'll just reduce it. It's worth trying to bend first though to keep as much of the height as possible. I'm not attached to either choice but if I can try one before the other I will. Thanks for the heads up!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's 3 Shimpaku junipers Ive styled recently. Tak Yamaura is Western Canada's most recognized bonsai professional with a history going back to Japan in the 60s and 70s. He owns a great nursery here in Surrey, BC. Most of the field grown junipers and black pine in my garden I have acquired from Tak. Here are my three most recent trees I've styled. I'm posting before and after photos so you can see the full extent of the work done. Thanks very much for looking!
I remember reading about his garden being robbed numerous times, terrible stuff! I like the starts of all three of these junipers, and a nice souvenir of his mursery.

MrJesseStrong

Seedling
Reaction score
I remember reading about his garden being robbed numerous times, terrible stuff! I like the starts of all three of these junipers, and a nice souvenir of his mursery.
He did get robbed a few times in 2015. This summer he actually opened a new nursery! It's coming a long great. Im actually just starting to spend some time there styling their trees! Thanks for the kind words!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He did get robbed a few times in 2015. This summer he actually opened a new nursery! It's coming a long great. Im actually just starting to spend some time there styling their trees! Thanks for the kind words!
If there is a link to his new nursery, I would love to support the business!

MrJesseStrong

Seedling
Reaction score
If there is a link to his new nursery, I would love to support the business!
I don't think he has a website yet. And I just have their cell numbers so I don't even know if there's a business number yet. If you live close by the new nursery is on 192 and Colebrook on the Langley/Surrey border. They're open every day except Monday!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think he has a website yet. And I just have their cell numbers so I don't even know if there's a business number yet. If you live close by the new nursery is on 192 and Colebrook on the Langley/Surrey border. They're open every day except Monday!
I am a good distance away, in Québec! But supporting the few bonsai business in Canada is important!

MrJesseStrong

Seedling
Reaction score
I am a good distance away, in Québec! But supporting the few bonsai business in Canada is important!
I couldn't agree more! I'll get whatever info from them I can and update as soon as I do. I'll make sure you can get in touch with them.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I couldn't agree more! I'll get whatever info from them I can and update as soon as I do. I'll make sure you can get in touch with them.

Internet search for Bonsai Floral Gardens. Ask or email for Hiromi Svetlikov. Tak is fairly busy and not always available.Location is Surrey British Columbia [/QUOTE]

Top Bottom