Shimpaku Tip blight?

Wills612

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Purchased tree in may from Lotus bonsai nursery. Slip potted into a wooden box with pumice, (existing soil drained well but was fairly root bound). Has been growing well all summer and back budding. Haven’t touched it as far as pruning. It seems brown tips showed up overnight.
D76F761B-54DA-4FC0-BA26-30103C14F98F.jpeg94A78988-4528-4573-B0A9-71D61CAE3D2F.jpegDE30DECA-FA9D-4E6F-A1DE-E4FDF849059C.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be but it's the latest I've seen it appear.
It does look like it. But beside the brown tips, I am seeing yellowing of other foliage.

Where are you located? Please put it on your profile so we don't have to repeatedly ask.
Has your area been experiencing really high temperatures lately?
Do you have high humidity in your area?
Where do you keep the tree? Full sun, part shade?
When did you slip pot it?
How often do you water?

Wills612

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Could be but it's the latest I've seen it appear.
It does look like it. But beside the brown tips, I am seeing yellowing of other foliage.

Where are you located? Please put it on your profile so we don't have to repeatedly ask.
Has your area been experiencing really high temperatures lately?
Do you have high humidity in your area?
Where do you keep the tree? Full sun, part shade?
When did you slip pot it?
How often do you water?
Thanks for the reply. The pics were takin at dusk, the foliage is greener/darker then appears. I’m in Northern California 9b, so yes 100+, low humidity. It gets full sun all day, and the browning does appear to be mostly on the western most exposed side. I did move it yesterday to an afternoon dappled shad bench.

I slip potted middle of may. I water daily, sometimes twice on really hot days. Which may be a problem as this soil holds a bit more water then most of my other trees. It drains fast in the wooden box has no bottom but a metal screen. Soil smells like soil.

I do have 3 other junipers receiving the same light and treatment with no brown tips (procumbens, chinensis, itoigawa).

The new growth tips are not affected. My inclination is weather related as it came from a slightly cooler environment or a water issue.

New pics show truer color.
56657D07-3A0D-482D-B2B7-FDB13F06BF83.jpeg83E01B4A-4332-46A9-948B-8A44D7A58BD7.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the reply. The pics were takin at dusk, the foliage is greener/darker then appears. I’m in Northern California 9b, so yes 100+, low humidity. It gets full sun all day, and the browning does appear to be mostly on the western most exposed side. I did move it yesterday to an afternoon dappled shad bench.

I slip potted middle of may. I water daily, sometimes twice on really hot days. Which may be a problem as this soil holds a bit more water then most of my other trees. It drains fast in the wooden box has no bottom but a metal screen. Soil smells like soil.

I do have 3 other junipers receiving the same light and treatment with no brown tips (procumbens, chinensis, itoigawa).

The new growth tips are not affected. My inclination is weather related as it came from a slightly cooler environment or a water issue.

New pics show truer color.
View attachment 454010View attachment 454011

Yea I think a weather related issue is more likely. Good idea to move it to a shadier location.

Don't quote me on it but iirc, tip blight effects the new foliage? At least that's what I recall when I had some shimpaku come down with it.

If you want to be sure, cut off the brown tips. I did that with mine and they grew back just fine.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have this issue last year.

All my juniper (itoigawa and kishu) have brown on the tips, specially on the old foliage.
If its in the old foliage I think its fine. But if its the new foliage its a different story.

This year all my itoigawa are healthy and no issues at all.
In my area we are exposed to 100-110 degree from june to mid september.
My mix are the classic 1-1-1 (akadama pumice lava) and I only water juniper once a day, Pines every other day. (even with a high temp)

My mistake last year is im spraying in dead summer. So this year I only spray fungicide and pesticide in spring and soon in fall. (once it cool down).

Just sharing what I experience.

Wills612

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have this issue last year.

All my juniper (itoigawa and kishu) have brown on the tips, specially on the old foliage.
If its in the old foliage I think its fine. But if its the new foliage its a different story.

This year all my itoigawa are healthy and no issues at all.
In my area we are exposed to 100-110 degree from june to mid september.
My mix are the classic 1-1-1 (akadama pumice lava) and I only water juniper once a day, Pines every other day. (even with a high temp)

My mistake last year is im spraying in dead summer. So this year I only spray fungicide and pesticide in spring and soon in fall. (once it cool down).

Just sharing what I experience.
Thanks for sharing your encouraging past experience. Yes the new growth looks good. The brown is on the older growth that may not have developed in my conditions which kinda makes since that it’s not a heat/sun tolerant as this summers growth.

Top Bottom