Shimpaku workshop tree

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I attended a workshop this weekend put on a fellow club member that has taken a few classes up at Bonsai Mirai. This work shop was meant to work on creating deadwood using Jin and shari. The trees were 6 year old cuttings that were field grown. I had the 4th pick out of 7 people. I had my eye on a couple more informal uprights but ended up with the largest cascade. All the trees were shimpaku. I included a couple before and a couple throughout the process.
G4quDo5.jpg

FTqfgsb.jpg

tbqRXzp.jpg

K6aQKef.jpg

wlqtxvl.jpg

cU6hzal.jpg

iMfTITi.jpg

J5D07Do.jpg

The last couple are other trees that were done during the workshop. Now I am just going to stick it in the corner and let it grow for a year and start looking for a large octagon or hexagon cascade pot.
1PARett.jpg

FPcFdmX.jpg

hNjrGUk.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What happened to the teaching of.....

A little at a time?

Making a few holes and connecting them over the years?

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't understand what you mean? Like only doing a little bit now and wait

I guess sort of....
They just make a few dots, and then over seasons, connect them to create the entire length.

I have no experience with this "die back of branches due to their path being disrupted".

But it makes good horticultural sense to do it slow IMO.

Sorce

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I understand where you are coming from. This was a workshop in creating deadwood using different techniques. If the tree doesn't respond it's another lesson learned. I was more focused on that then creating a masterpiece of a tree

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Man you took alot of foliage of that cascading branch. I will look at the pic again when i get home and on yhe computer. Maybe its just looking at it from my phone

Rick

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Man you took alot of foliage of that cascading branch. I will look at the pic again when i get home and on yhe computer. Maybe its just looking at it from my phone

Rick
I did, it looks deceiving because the larger braches that I Jin'ed were covering the main branch with their foliage. I think it will be ok, the roots are established and I am not going to mess with it for a while

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
May be the pics but it doesn't look like the shimpaku that I have. Close up of the foliage?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
As long as the plant is well established (2 years without repotting) there is no problem removing that much bark in one sitting. Junipers - especially these mountain climber types - have evolved to withstand sudden destructive trauma like that. The trouble starts when you do it on recently potted material or mess with roots after doing the work on the top.
Also, I strongly recommend doing at least one or preferably several sketches before starting the work. I have often found that I have removed an important branch or two because of my failure to properly consider the design possibilities before ripping the tree apart.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little at a time?
That's why junipers are popular workshop trees. They're tough and since it didn't have its roots touched it should be fine.
Those were fairly large for 6 years from cuttings. Nice girthy trees.
atience is what Americans need to learn.
I've seen worse done to trees at the couple workshops I've watched. And in demonstrations put on by pros.
I've done way worse to my own junipers right away too. Hell,he could have wired it at this time too.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They're tough and since it didn't have its roots touched it should be fine.

They were repotted a couple years ago, froum the ground to the current pot

So the first pictures were a couple of years ago? Sorry confused as it looks like it went from a deep terracotta to a smaller plastic bowl in the process. It does sound like a unique workshop though - not many advertise those ;)

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry confused as it looks like it went from a deep terracotta to a smaller plastic bowl in the process.
Aren't the ones in the bowls the other trees from the workshop? If not then I could be just wrong! Terribly wrong. Oh no!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Aren't the ones in the bowls the other trees from the workshop? If not then I could be just wrong! Terribly wrong. Oh no!

Hard to tell is why I asked, curious mostly.

Grimmy

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just my opinion and I am sure many will object to it. First of all I am glad someone is doing something other than talk about advanced techniques. However; whether the roots are good and vigorous cannot bypass the consequences of cutting a life line leaving the roots and/or top unsupported. Sometimes we take on a project without having an idea of what we are doing and why we are doing it. JMHO.

Development over ten years of a twenty year adventure.DSC_2620.JPGShimpaku 2003.jpgShimpaku08 copy.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I don't see any branches that were girdled by the addition of the Shari; its in a pretty straight line. In that way, it wasn't terribly risky, but I see this as aggressive work because it was done all at once, and the cuts are pretty close to necessary live shoots.

On the plus side, right time of year, on a tough and healthy tree. It should be ok, but the future of the tree was firmly established. Once that wood dries out, it's not going to move.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
May be the pics but it doesn't look like the shimpaku that I have. Close up of the foliage?
I agree with Drew- does not look like Shimpaku to me! Maybe Parsons or... Something else... Hard to tell from the pics, but the foliage looks to coarse for Shimpaku...

Top Bottom