shimpaku

serpentsgarden

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
I have a fe junis San jose a few green mound even some tams. I never had a shimpaku unitl three days ago. I have to say it is a beautiful tree and being a mpale lover and a fall show kind of guy I have found a real liking for this tree. I was looking for more information about average grwoth per year and how fast for caliper size gaines ot about 3 inches or so. I plan to perhaps put a few in a trunking box and good finger pinching to keep in a general growth direction. Just looking for some input from anyone who is more familiar with this culitvar.
Serpent's Garden

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Shimps aren't exactly jumping out of the pots to put on size, field growing will give you the most bang for your buck, if you are looking for size, you plant them, or pay for caliper. You are correct shimps are the royalty of junis.

serpentsgarden

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
after mroe research its barely a tree... More bushy shrub but the foliage is so delicate for a juni and has such a nice appearence. I am looking to find some larger stock as well. I have found one that has a 3/4 inch caliper. And you are correct in saying i will pay for the caliper. The half inch ones are 20 this one is double the price. But good material is worth it really. It has a nice structure to start and much of the style of the Mobius Loop (look it up) I am plannin a vertical tree with a twisted curled trunk and a semi globular look. As to capture the essence of Juni's i have seen in the wild mature. I am looking at a max of 4 feet if you prune to tree shape for size and about 6 inches of grwoth a year?? I think these are variable terms though genetics can through you some cool things at times. I think i am on a juniper kick this year. A welcome change though i have been a little stuck on my maples and really i have little work to do on most of them so work on a new tree styel could prove a lot of fun for me. Thanks for the info though guys

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A 4' tall shimp will take you years to trunk up to the right size unless you go literati,or again start with larger stock. Like anything else in life, the good stuff isn't so easy to get, unless you can pay for it.

Thats not to say you can't get them, especially if you are from Ca., and then you have Cal./ Sierra Junies, sized as to what someone could carry home.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may check with Dan Robinson at Elandan Gardens up here near Bremerton - he's occasionally got a decent sized Shimp available for a small fortune.

But little Shimpaku plants can be used to graft onto collected Rocky Mountain junipers or Sierra or Western junipers - these desert junipers often do poorly here in our wet climate, and Shimpaku is a wet weather juniper, so it allows us to keep such junipers here. But two caveats, three really:

1. The grafts take a long time in our climate here, and Dan usually just sends his down to guys in Southern Cal to get it done. Expensive.

2. Some people here have at least decent success with desert junipers here by just growing them with their native foliage, at least for many years. It depends how wet it is where you live, and how much time and money you want to spend on copper sprays and other exotic remedies.

3. Even Shimpaku is having problems here now, I am told recently: Some sort of blight or fungus is affecting the ones in the Pacific Rim Collection lately. Bad news indeed!

Hope that helps, though maybe it's just discouraging.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a 65 year old import that has a twisted trunk and hollowed out shari. It is approximately 26 inches tall with a 3.5 inch base (excellent roots for a Shimpaku). It is on it's on roots as it came from Japan (not grafted onto something else). I'll take $4,500.00 for it if you're interested. PM me.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
We have a couple hundred shimpaku whips in the 1 gallon size, trunk diameters 1/2 to 3/4 inches. Fun to bend up. Kishu and itoigawa. Also have field-grown trees with good movement and trunk of 3-4 inches. We're just down the road outside of Salem, OR. Come for a visit.
Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms

Top Bottom