Shin Deshojo Japanese Maple

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I purchased this Shin Deshojo Japanese Maple from a nursery in the Fall of 2018. In only two growing seasons, I still can’t believe how far it has come as a bonsai! Thank you so much @MACH5 for helping me refine this monster over the years!

There are two thread grafts that were applied yesterday. The upper graft is being used to improve taper and give me something to cut back to once the tree responds. The other helps to give more depth to the left side. In a little while once the tree wakes up more, I am going to work the nebari and get into a smaller grow box.

For scale, the trunk is around 4.5 inches wide, and it is around 30 inches tall. No idea how gigantic the nebari is until I completely uncover it during repotting time.

Attachments

• 62CAA35E-1846-4A72-93C6-3F112E513CD1.jpeg
    62CAA35E-1846-4A72-93C6-3F112E513CD1.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 501
  • D9B57CBB-35ED-45CC-BC55-ED3BE59F04A9.png
    D9B57CBB-35ED-45CC-BC55-ED3BE59F04A9.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 477
  • 895A3BDB-488C-468D-B976-B9B05C245F53.jpeg
    895A3BDB-488C-468D-B976-B9B05C245F53.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 453
  • F0F78ACB-F011-4480-8D85-C02F2A81A474.jpeg
    F0F78ACB-F011-4480-8D85-C02F2A81A474.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 472
  • 3AD83BEE-7DCB-4943-A293-15D5269EBA3B.jpeg
    3AD83BEE-7DCB-4943-A293-15D5269EBA3B.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 471

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can I speak my mind without you taking it too bad?...

I don't like the first branch on the left at all : I would have removed it. 🥺
I think we can be honest and not harsh. I happen to agree. Obviously we don't know his long term plan, but replacing that branch should be part of in IMHO. It seems way to thick. There needs to be something there for sure as to balance out the tree, but that thing is way too girthy.

Honestly, you could airlayer it off and have a jump start on another tree. Not sure how this sub-species of maple does with airlayering though.

Now that the bashing is done 😅, it looks very nice. I'm extremely jealous that you got that much progress in just a couple years. My JMs are taking their sweet time and pouting (probably due to some fungal issues and taking them out of nursery soil last year). The amount of branching you got in that time is insane, especially for the NE. Well done, and you should tell us you secrets for getting that thing to explode like it did!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
you could airlayer it off and have a jump start on another tree

That's exactly what I had in mind too ;)
Not sure how this sub-species of maple does with airlayering though.

I haven't tried it myself but from what I've heard from many, it works well.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No feelings hurt at all, that branch is a very divisive one. Some people love it and others hate it! The intent on keeping it was to create a more natural growth habit to the design. Many old trees have very heavy low branches reaching for the light that survive (and get thick) by extending. This choice makes the asymmetry more spread out and compact vs the up and out commonly seen with JM. I do not plan on removing it, but I appreciate everyone’s feedback!

Last edited:

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can’t say that there were too many “secrets,” but this is my general regimen.

Year 1: The giant nursery rootball was sawed in half with a saws all, and loosened with a hammer and metal stake. It was potted in a big wooden box with straight pumice (the height of the box was around 9 inches tall). It was fertilized full strength weekly and grew exceptionally well. In the summer I cut off one leaf off in each pair to force the tree to give me more options. I did find out the hard way on this particular tree that it doesn’t like the shade, because I had some fungus issues at the end of the season.

Year 2: The rootball was sawed in half again, and planted in 50/50 pumice and lava to hold more water since the height of the pot was reduced to around 4.5 inches. It was put in full sun (except for a crazy heat spell we had here of 2-3 days over 100F) and fertilized full strength again. It grew well again, so in the summer I again cut off one leaf off in each pair to force the tree to give me more options. I also cut strong upwards branches back to two to balance the growth a bit more.

Nothing too groundbreaking, just not being afraid to fertilize heavy, responding to what the tree was telling me, and not being afraid to do the work that needed to be done.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I agree with leaving the thick lowest branch. It is the whole point of this tree. Otherwise you are taking the entire character away. It may not be to everyones taste so I get that but its value rests with that branch which the photos, BTW, do not do it justice. If it's removed all you have left is a huge scar and a tree with a few branches up top and nothing else. Long ways to go!

@Johnnyd It is very possible that it will be reduced in time. Certainly those wired secondaries will be cut back quite a bit eventually. The tree now responds and then we make our next move. Tilting the tree forward also may give us a better view of the branch's structure and some better movement. It appears quite straight in the photos.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would be a lollipop without that low branch.

Maybe some more targeted growth inhibiting techniques could be employed to retard some vigor on the branch in question? It's starting to get a little bit big in relation to the trunk?

Great project. Like to see a "bigger" tree once in awhile. Especially if I ain't the one moving it!! That this variety, in this size, isn't often seen, makes it all the better. :cool:

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No feelings hurt at all, that branch is a very divisive one. Some people love it and others hate it! The intent on keeping it was to create a more natural growth habit to the design. Many old trees have very heavy low branches reaching for the light that survive (and get thick) by extending. This choice makes the asymmetry more spread out and compact vs the up and out commonly seen with JM. I do not plan on removing it, but I appreciate everyone’s feedback!
I have to agree with @MACH5 , I can't see it in person so its impossible to give a good judgement. And I see what you are saying now. We actually have a bloodgood JM in the front yard that has a low branch that is almost exactly the same profile 😅 . I'm starting to think I should listen to my own advice, removing that branch would leave that area naked and looking oddly blank.

Plus like what mach5 said about changing the angle will make the contrast in size less apparent. I'm starting to like this one more and more!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have to agree with @MACH5 , I can't see it in person so its impossible to give a good judgement. And I see what you are saying now. We actually have a bloodgood JM in the front yard that has a low branch that is almost exactly the same profile 😅 . I'm starting to think I should listen to my own advice, removing that branch would leave that area naked and looking oddly blank.

Plus like what mach5 said about changing the angle will make the contrast in size less apparent. I'm starting to like this one more and more!

Ryan Neil had a similar situation with a field maple featured in one of his live streams. It had an extremely thick branch that came out low on the trunk. He explained how trees like it cannot be made into what they are not and its entire value rested on that branch that made his tree unique. So if we cannot embrace it, then is best we move on onto something else.

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi Tidal, can I ask you what fungicide regimen do you apply to the tree during the season?

I am embarking on a project with a large nursery maple and I am looking for recommendations to avoid problems with fungi.Thanks a lot!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Tidal, can I ask you what fungicide regimen do you apply to the tree during the season?

I am embarking on a project with a large nursery maple and I am looking for recommendations to avoid problems with fungi.Thanks a lot!
I do a soil drench of Cleary’s early in the spring and daconil once a month afterwards as a foliar spray. @MACH5 has me trying mancozeb instead this season. This tree has been sold to another hobbyist, so there won’t be any more progress shots going forward.

mapleX

Yamadori
Reaction score
I do a soil drench of Cleary’s early in the spring and daconil once a month afterwards as a foliar spray. @MACH5 has me trying mancozeb instead this season. This tree has been sold to another hobbyist, so there won’t be any more progress shots going forward.
Thanks @Tidal Bonsai ! What would be the advantages of Mancozeb over Clearys? @MACH5 could tell you?

I hope that the new owner of this great maple will be a member of this forum and share its evolution with us :)

Last edited:

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I am the owner of the tree now, I bought it from a guy that picked it up in NJ recently, growing it in a big nursery pot at the moment while thinking about styling and such. I am definitely keeping the lower left branch because I feel without it..there will be no tree at all

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 8.08.06 PM.png

Top Bottom