Shin Deshojo questions

Badge30

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a Shin Deshojo that’s been in ground for two years that I am attempting an air layer on. Layer was started in late may. If layer is successful, hopefully at the end of August I will remove and pot up. When would be the best time to pull mother tree. Early spring late winter? Zone 5b. NE Ohio. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 8826B202-1534-4545-B14E-2AF318F6A517.jpeg
    8826B202-1534-4545-B14E-2AF318F6A517.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 103

Badge30

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes checked it. Today possible roots just starting. Not to hopeful at this point but all leaves above layer are healthy with new growth pushing out.

Badge30

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If roots don’t develop should I keep layer on until next spring?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yep, make sure the callous hasn’t bridged the cut then repack it and wait. That’s about all you can do.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_20220817_181001~2.jpg

or you can do what I did and just cross your fingers and pot it up, shin deshojo is the only air layer that rooted for me this year, although I only did 3 layers, but usually I do better than 75%

Ngidm

Sapling
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering what the balance is between letting an airlayer overwinter on an in-ground acer versus separation before too much frost. I have a blood good (palmatum) that I airlayered in June that is just starting to poke out roots. They are about 1/4", but they're all around the branch. Diameter of the branch is about thumb thickness. I worry if I separate now it might not have enough water to sprout in Spring, but if I leave it in place the new roots may freeze. Like 0 degrees F freeze. It has not dropped leaves yet. If I separate at/just after leaf drop, I can put it in an unheated garage. I have a seed starting mat there that keeps the bottom of the pots (barely) above 32, and I use hay so that the pots stay pretty close to that. We get some really cold snaps in Central Illinois over winter, but the garage stays pretty alright so long as there is not a polar vortex.

Or am I just likely screwed either way?

Thanks for any advice!

Nick

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I dont know how severe your winters are West Central Illinois,?
Here in England you could probably leave the airlayer in place on the mother plant but re-pot in a bigger pot with more rooting media and wrap this with insulation eg bubble wrap and leave till next spring, or alternatively separate it now , pot it up in well drained growing medium ,securely tied in pace so the roots dont get damaged and prune back the top by 30-50% and keep in a sheltered frost free place eg garage till growth resumes in spring.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering what the balance is between letting an airlayer overwinter on an in-ground acer versus separation before too much frost. I have a blood good (palmatum) that I airlayered in June that is just starting to poke out roots. They are about 1/4", but they're all around the branch. Diameter of the branch is about thumb thickness. I worry if I separate now it might not have enough water to sprout in Spring, but if I leave it in place the new roots may freeze. Like 0 degrees F freeze. It has not dropped leaves yet. If I separate at/just after leaf drop, I can put it in an unheated garage. I have a seed starting mat there that keeps the bottom of the pots (barely) above 32, and I use hay so that the pots stay pretty close to that. We get some really cold snaps in Central Illinois over winter, but the garage stays pretty alright so long as there is not a polar vortex.

Thanks for any advice!

Nick
don't roots grow in the winter?

Ngidm

Sapling
Reaction score
My understanding was that below freezing roots do not grow -- is that not the case? I know they're supposed to be full of sugars/starches, but not sure how much that changes freezing temperature. If roots do grow below freezing, how cold can they handle? Our winter lows get below 0*F. Can growing air layers handle that? If so, do I separate just before bud burst? Or later in Spring? Summer dormancy?

Thanks for any advice.

N

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks for any advice!

Nick
I would separate, pot up. Let the tree root into the pot during leaf drop phase. If lots of frost comes the next 6-8 weeks, put in the garage.
FYI:

Reactions: AJL
Top Bottom