Shindeshojo advice

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you kiwi, I am definitely going to try cuttings from it. I have some rooting hormone but I don’t think it’s strong enough so I will hunt for stronger, is it because maples are tougher to root? I have read a lot of your forums before and you have some good trees. I have a old Bloodgood in my yard and plan on taking many cuttings from, plus I have 30+ seedlings I’m growing right now. I guess you could say I have a maple addiction, but the arakawa seems to be a rare tree in NC or I would have it too.

Hi Jcmmaple,
Regular green leaved JM roots quite easily, but if you are trying to root JM cultivars then the problems start. Most cultivars are grafted because it is more economical for growers to graft as this is a near 100% success, but these cultivars struck by cuttings you may only get 5-20% success. Hence the reason for strong hormone. AND unfortunately some cultivars will not root by cutting at all!! My book says “Bloodgood” roots ok with 1-2% hormone, and I have had success with Shindeshojo with same hormone.

Good luck and yes my obsession with Maples is a lot like yours.
Charles

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well either way if they do root or not it’s all the fun of experimenting right. What book are you referring to? I plan on making some propagation boxes out of styrofoam coolers, yes I’m cheap but if it works that’s what matters, haha

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Repot next year when the buds swell before the leaves come out. Leave it be this year, just don't overwater.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my baby’s new home, and my first attempt at a grow box with scrap wood. I didn’t mess with the roots other than shake some soil out and then filled the rootball in lava, chicken grit and some peat moss. Hope it does good, and I added some fertilizer.

Top Bottom