Shindeshojo?

disandov

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've recently been on the hunt for a shindeshojo and happened to come across this one. I'm confused as to why it's labeled dissectum. Is it just an error on the nursery's part? Looking for advice and comments on this bonsai.IMG_1463.JPG

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've recently been on the hunt for a shindeshojo and happened to come across this one. I'm confused as to why it's labeled dissectum. Is it just an error on the nursery's part? Looking for advice and comments on this bonsai.View attachment 324389
Looks like it is grafted fairly high. I am not sure that can be overcome.

disandov

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like it is grafted fairly high. I am not sure that can be overcome.
Where would that graft be? Real new to this and I'm just learning how to distinguish these things. Is it where it turns brown to green or even higher?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah its possible but not in fall, do that in late spring/ early summer. Unless you live on the southern hemisphere?
This is just my personal experience but airlayers are far superior methods of propagation for Acer palmatum than cuttings. I got a Deshojo to root from airlayer this year and thats almost the exact same variety.
Make sure to watch some videos on airlayering so you dont make beginners mistakes and accidentally kill it. But in general its not complicated.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also this is not Bonsai just because in Bonsai style pot. Still just small nursery tree and likely overpriced. For most inducing lower branches would be desired but not on graft stock part of tree. Must develop upper part of tree and possibly airlayer trunk for better shorter reach to foliage;). What is personal location? Please add to profile.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you get the tree, take a few pictures of the trunk.
I am not convinced it is a graft. It COULD be. But it can also be a previous pruning point.

disandov

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also this is not Bonsai just because in Bonsai style pot. Still just small nursery tree and likely overpriced. For most inducing lower branches would be desired but not on graft stock part of tree. Must develop upper part of tree and possibly airlayer trunk for better shorter reach to foliage;). What is personal location? Please add to profile.
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to wait until it arrives in order to inspect it and see what work needs to be done. Any and all advice is welcome :)

disandov

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When you get the tree, take a few pictures of the trunk.
I am not convinced it is a graft. It COULD be. But it can also be a previous pruning point.
That's what I initially thought too. I'll just have to wait and see. I'll upload pictures once it arrives on Friday.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope they're packing it Thursday!

103F Tuesday?

Welcome to Crazy!

Seems you've ordered and are having shipped, frustration. That is .... if it survives the trip.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The graft is very high and it will be some time before there is enough foliage above the graft to do an air-layer.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it will be some time before there is enough foliage above the graft to do an air-layer.
lol what. Where are you getting that from? I got 3 different palmatum cultivars to root with less foliage, just this year

disandov

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So graft?

Attachments

• 7990A82D-59ED-47EB-8329-8DE848C50EF4.jpeg
    7990A82D-59ED-47EB-8329-8DE848C50EF4.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 34
  • A4FA663E-50F2-467D-976B-5338DC4E16A4.jpeg
    A4FA663E-50F2-467D-976B-5338DC4E16A4.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 35
  • C8D16D3A-F342-4662-9151-5475B01F325B.jpeg
    C8D16D3A-F342-4662-9151-5475B01F325B.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 552925B9-A3DF-46A2-A89B-BB4620BA0EEE.jpeg
    552925B9-A3DF-46A2-A89B-BB4620BA0EEE.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 35

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
OK, I stand corrected. Go ahead and air or ground layer above the graft next spring. You will then have a funny oddball scion which, in my small mind will be damned hard to aim the angle of the dangle in any direction that will result in an attractive tree, but what do I know?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got the same dilemma. I plan to get a deshojo soon, but they're all grafted. My plan is to get the best one and layer it just below the graft. In time the barks should look the same...?
I have this on a existing tree ...bottom is standard Palmatum and the top is Osakazuki.
IMG_20200901_123155.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plan to get a deshojo soon, but they're all grafted.
As long as the graft is not ugly..

I have layered multiple deshojo from their rootstock. Works fine, although one of them took over a year to root. But.. That was me being impatient and working on a tree that was not topfit. Taught me a lesson in waiting.

Top Bottom