Shipping bare root seedlings

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I’ll be selling Japanese maple seedlings to my local South African bonsai market next spring and intend shipping then bare rooted.

I’m trying to figure out the logistics of this and have a few questions I need answered.

Should I trim the roots of my seedlings before wrapping them up (in moist paper towel and plastic wrap) or do most suppliers just bundle the roots up into a small enough package before wrapping?

Also what is the earliest time frame before plants start waking up that I can start prepping the seedlings and sending them out? I’ve had a look at Matt Ouwinga’s IG and see he starts in early January, so my guess is anytime between mid winter and the start of spring. @Shibui could you offer some guidance?

I’m hoping that being in a completely isolated market my B’but brethren wouldn’t mind helping me out with some advice 😉

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any gotten personally had untrimmed roots😊. Surely good idea to assure plants do not shift around in box.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No point of trimming the roots before shipping. Matt wrap them all (roots) in wet newspaper then plastic.
I don't see any problem with start shipping about 8 weeks before leaf out.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
No point of trimming the roots before shipping. Matt wrap them all (roots) in wet newspaper then plastic.
I don't see any problem with start shipping about 8 weeks before leaf out.
Thanks @namnhi , that’s what I was looking for. Just bundle all of the roots up into a manageable grounding and wrap up 👍🏻

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I send out thousands of maple seedlings every winter.
Climate here is mild as I guess Joburg so I can start mailing them as soon as the leaves drop and continue until after first leaves open.
I don't bother trimming roots unless they don't fit well in the package, then it's just a quick chop to remove longest roots to fit. At the prices I charge I figure it is not my problem to do real root pruning and many people have different ideas about what the think is proper anyway.
I also ask customers what they plan for the trees. Some want to start ROR so longer roots are better for them and are wiling to pay any extra for a larger box if necessary.

Packing dormant maples is super easy. Just shake off most soil, wrap the roots in wet newspaper then a plastic bag to hold the moisture while they travel. Then pack into the smallest cardboard container they fit in comfortably. Tight fit is better than loose but they don't tend to move about much because there's little weight.
Trees have survived up to 2 weeks in the post this way. Even if they wake up and start shooting in the box they still appear to be happy when potted up at the other end.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do not trim roots when I ship bare root. I wrap in damp newspaper or paper towels and put the roots in a plastic bag sealed as good as I can get. I have had no problems this way. I ship from leaf drop to bud swell.

Top Bottom