Shipping pines

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I ordered a couple of nursery stock pines from Oregon, 8b. Shipping to Iowa, 5b.
Should I have any trouble acclimating them?
Should I keep them in the garage at night for a few weeks?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ask the seller whether they have the trees currently at or below freezing. If so, and you are not terribly cold, I would just keep them where you keep all your trees. It is not bare root stock right?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What kind of pines? Japanese species aren’t hardy in Iowa...I learned the hard way. Scots should be, but if it was me, I would definitely keep them in the garage for the rest of winter.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What kind of pines? Japanese species aren’t hardy in Iowa...I learned the hard way. Scots should be, but if it was me, I would definitely keep them in the garage for the rest of winter.
It is a mugo and a scots.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
ask the seller whether they have the trees currently at or below freezing. If so, and you are not terribly cold, I would just keep them where you keep all your trees. It is not bare root stock right?
They are gallon pots. The night time temps have been above freezing my nighttime temps are below freezing.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Question about scots pines-
I still have the mugo but it’s in the ground.
When is it safe to remove from winter protection?
I know I will be doing the shuffle in March with my maples and other various plants but when is it safe to bring out the pines?
Do I just treat them all the same.
It was 50 degrees today so I’m anxious to get started. I don’t want to start too early though.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Question about scots pines-
I still have the mugo but it’s in the ground.
When is it safe to remove from winter protection?
I know I will be doing the shuffle in March with my maples and other various plants but when is it safe to bring out the pines?
Do I just treat them all the same.
It was 50 degrees today so I’m anxious to get started. I don’t want to start too early though.
Main thing I've learned is watch the nighttime lows. Anything below 15 degrees Fahrenheit my trees stay in their greenhouse. I can usually put my stuff out late February early march and I'm zone 5b

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Main thing I've learned is watch the nighttime lows. Anything below 15 degrees Fahrenheit my trees stay in their greenhouse. I can usually put my stuff out late February early march and I'm zone 5b
Thanks
I’m in 5b too.

Top Bottom