Shipping Podocarpus This Time of Year?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There seems to be mixed feelings in my household about the idea of making a tradition out of using one of my trees as a Christmas tree every year. Last year it was a yamadori pine that wasn't likely to survive anyway because it came up with too little root. This year if possible I'm thinking more strategically about it, and looking into the idea of getting a tree particular to the purpose.

I'm thinking podocarpus, but of course there are none available locally in my zone, so it would have to be shipped in. Most websites aren't good about the sort of shipping details I'm looking for, so thought I'd ask here.

I understand that some podocarpus are frost resistant, so would it be safe to order one now to get it in the next week or so?
What species/variety would you recommend for semi-arid USDA zone 6a if it could ship now?

Thanks!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Frost hardiness obviously depends a lot on how cold your area gets. It also depends on the species. Podocarpus is only a smallish genera with somewhere around 80-100 species.
The Podocarpus I know are all frost hardy. Some of our Aussie native Podocarpus are alpine trees that spend winter under a blanket of snow. There are some more tropical species but even those can cope with some sub freezing temps.
To give any meaningful help we'll need to know what species you intend to get.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's part of what I was wondering.
The ones that popped up most frequently in a quick search are macrophyllus, commonly listed variably as plum pine, Buddha pine, or Japanese yew. I've read them in different descriptions as being hardy anywhere from zone 6 to only zone 8b. That's quite the discrepancy, and part of why I'm asking.

Nighttime lows around here so far have only hit just below freezing, which wouldn't be a concern, but other areas of the US are already much colder, and I have no experience with any podocarpus.

I'm looking for a conifer that can be kept indoors, or at least has minimal dormancy requirements, and podocarpus seemed like it might be where to start.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any chance to convince family this use bad for health of said tree🤔? And you vastly prefer to keep personal Bonsai ALIVE.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The ones that popped up most frequently in a quick search are macrophyllus,
I can't help much. I had one many years ago. I seem to remember it was very slow growing but that may be because of my lack of knowledge. It eventually died but not of cold.
It is a more tropical Japanese species but rated cold hardy down to zone 7 so not too far off your 6a. Hopefully some others who have grown it successfully can help with details.

Top Bottom