Shishigashira branch selection/styling

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
More styling help is needed!

Please ignore the garbage in pot, squirrels digging hard without these garbage.

This shishigashira is pretty big, trunk is about/a little over 2inch.

Any suggestions regarding the pruning selection of the 4 main branches? I can either keep one branch or two branches. Prefers to keep two, but open to any suggestions. At this point, I really have no idea what to do with it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Attachments

• 20230118_122004.jpg
    20230118_122004.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20230118_122028.jpg
    20230118_122028.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230118_122101.jpg
    20230118_122101.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How about layering off that thickest branch, then layering off the remaining clump for a 3 trunk clump?
Thanks Sean! That's a new idea that I have not thought about, definitely will give it some thoughts.

You suggestion indicates that the thickest branch needs to go. I agree totally.

I also start to think, maybe just let this tree be landscape tree, plant it on the ground and continue looking for better materials?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Sean! That's a new idea that I have not thought about, definitely will give it some thoughts.

You suggestion indicates that the thickest branch needs to go. I agree totally.

I also start to think, maybe just let this tree be landscape tree, plant it on the ground and continue looking for better materials?
If you did choose to plant it in ground you would have a never ending supply of little shishigashira air layers for forest plantings. There was an awesome shishigashira forest posted on here a few weeks ago by @MACH5 i think? Defiantly food for thought for your shishi.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
To develop the nicest tree possible, you really want to try to avoid big scars as much as possible. If this tree were mine (and without seeing the surface roots) I would remove the largest branch (air layer) and then develop the tree with the remaining three branches (significantly shortened) in an Oak style with the scar in the back. I know it is sacrilege to leave three but I think it is the best solution in this situation....Large Oak trees almost always have some reverse taper. If the guidelines are going to leave an ugly scarred up trunk it is time to look past them...

If you are too chicken to break the rules...air layer all four branches

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you did choose to plant it in ground you would have a never ending supply of little shishigashira air layers for forest plantings. There was an awesome shishigashira forest posted on here a few weeks ago by @MACH5 i think? Defiantly food for thought for your shishi.
Thank you. I'll look it up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To develop the nicest tree possible, you really want to try to avoid big scars as much as possible. If this tree were mine (and without seeing the surface roots) I would remove the largest branch (air layer) and then develop the tree with the remaining three branches (significantly shortened) in an Oak style with the scar in the back. I know it is sacrilege to leave three but I think it is the best solution in this situation....Large Oak trees almost always have some reverse taper. If the guidelines are going to leave an ugly scarred up trunk it is time to look past them...

If you are too chicken to break the rules...air layer all four branches
Thank you John. Obviously the large branch has to go, I'll start from there.
It's about one inch thick, so after removal there will be a quite big scar.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know if you have a Mirai Live account, but Ryan separated a few shishigashira air layers on December 2021. I would concur with @19Mateo83 on planting the tree in the ground. There you can develop the end of the branches into bonsai shape and air layer them. Like what @Smoke has done before, I can't find his post but he showed a huge trident air layer he was working on that will definitely look fantastic once separated.

Also, look at this blog post from Jonas, here you can see an example of what I mean. Onuma says that throwing away a sacrifice is a waste, so he develops the end of the sacrifices into small bonsai trees, then air layer them into future shohin goodness.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
I would air layer the 3 straight ones. Save the one that goes to the right. Put in ground for more time and heal that scar while fixing the taper. Chop it another 3rd and now you hot a start. Of course that may take a life time, but that's another idea.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't know if you have a Mirai Live account, but Ryan separated a few shishigashira air layers on December 2021. I would concur with @19Mateo83 on planting the tree in the ground. There you can develop the end of the branches into bonsai shape and air layer them. Like what @Smoke has done before, I can't find his post but he showed a huge trident air layer he was working on that will definitely look fantastic once separated.

Also, look at this blog post from Jonas, here you can see an example of what I mean. Onuma says that throwing away a sacrifice is a waste, so he develops the end of the sacrifices into small bonsai trees, then air layer them into future shohin goodness.
Thanks, will look it up and read.
I think I will go with planting in the ground.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would air layer the 3 straight ones. Save the one that goes to the right. Put in ground for more time and heal that scar while fixing the taper. Chop it another 3rd and now you hot a start. Of course that may take a life time, but that's another idea.
Thanks, looks like a good plan!

Top Bottom