SHISHIGASHIRA GROUP PLANTING

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
@MACH5
Have you ever tried to air layer a Shishigashira or know how well they do?

I have one Id love to air layer it
I’m not answering for Serg but it seems to be relatively common practice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes, of course. Forgot about that one.

This is Bill's. A well known tree. Even more remarkable is that he literally developed this tree from a stick in a pot!

View attachment 539529

Amazing. Bill is truly an inspiration! Maybe I have seen this one, I went to his nursery during the last two Nationals. It’s overwhelming!

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Wondering without seeing the tree in person and no disrespect if the small tree on the left was to the front of the larger tree and lowered a little would change the look.
To me and this just my on opinion all the trees seem to lean to left and with the smaller tree going behind seems to break that up.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The foliage of Shishigashira looks so great, especially in real life. Quite standout, even in a full nursery they caught my eye. Only thing holding me back is the slow growth.. Still might get some at some point.

Great composition you got there @MACH5!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wondering without seeing the tree in person and no disrespect if the small tree on the left was to the front of the larger tree and lowered a little would change the look.
To me and this just my on opinion all the trees seem to lean to left and with the smaller tree going behind seems to break that up.

The smaller tree at the back helps add depth. It also flows left going along with the general direction. Sure, it may work also if planted in the front. A different look but I don't think necessarily better.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The foliage of Shishigashira looks so great, especially in real life. Quite standout, even in a full nursery they caught my eye. Only thing holding me back is the slow growth.. Still might get some at some point.

Great composition you got there @MACH5!

Thanks! Yes quite slow in developing. They tend to grow short tubular straight branching which is not ideal but overall an outstanding cultivar. They'll challenge your patience!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So odd that I prefer this tree very much with leaves on, it's so spring like. I normally love a naked deciduous much more. It seems so light and airy, beautiful color of green and such a "feel" composition.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So odd that I prefer this tree very much with leaves on, it's so spring like. I normally love a naked deciduous much more. It seems so light and airy, beautiful color of green and such a "feel" composition.

You're not alone Judy. Same here. The leaves emphasize the different planes as they tend to come out tight and flat. I suppose we may feel a bit different about its winter look in 1000 years when the forest is well ramified! 🤣

Top Bottom