SHISHIGASHIRA GROUP PLANTING

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What a wonderful transformation, you are truly inspiring.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nothing like Shishigashira's bright chartreuse green leaves with its red flowers in spring. I am hopeful that I get extension where I need it this growing season. As I had mentioned previously they don't always extend where you need it most and why it takes so long to create a good bonsai specimen with this cultivar.

The forest today coming alive!

IMG_3137 copy.jpg

IMG_3143 copy.jpg

IMG_3144 copy.jpg

IMG_3145 copy.jpg

IMG_3147 copy.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really cool. You almost get the feeling that maybe there is a much larger tree on the right, blocking out the light, so the group has adapted to moving left to search for the light:cool:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really cool. You almost get the feeling that maybe there is a much larger tree on the right, blocking out the light, so the group has adapted to moving left to search for the light:cool:

I always like forces unknown to us acting upon our trees dictating their behavior.

I would love to get nice extensions on the left to push the branch lines further out. If not, it will need to happen progressively.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nothing like Shishigashira's bright chartreuse green leaves with its red flowers in spring. I am hopeful that I get extension where I need it this growing season. As I had mentioned previously they don't always extend where you need it most and why it takes so long to create a good bonsai specimen with this cultivar.

The forest today coming alive!
Looking great as always.
Wondering if you could detail what kind of work you do in the spring to direct energy the way you want?
I've been basically following this guide, for the raw material I have to try to creat air-layerable trees, but It's hard to tell if it's really paying off. They just don't seem to put on the vigorous growth that a standard Japanese / Trident maple would.
Can't wait for the Fall show!

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
@MACH5 … does the paper wrap protect against wire bites as well? If yes, how effective is that? Assume gives you some time ‘cushion’ to react to potential wire bites?

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
Look, it's a nice attempt for a beginner. And the concept is a great effort.
Having said that, I was very sad to see all the straight trunk sections disappear and the composition start to appear more like a miniature forest than a pot plant.
The addition of extra trees has really taken away from the original 2D design and made it look very 3D (not sure if that was your goal or not).

On a more serious note.
The left side.......with your comment "I always like forces unknown to us acting upon our trees dictating their behavior. I would love to get nice extensions on the left to push the branch lines further out" Does the primary left branch on the left most tree act as the edge of the forest composition? Or, will you add smaller trees at a later stage?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As I had mentioned previously they don't always extend where you need it most and why it takes so long to create a good bonsai specimen with this cultivar.
So true... but when you get them where you need them they look amazing.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking great as always.
Wondering if you could detail what kind of work you do in the spring to direct energy the way you want?
I've been basically following this guide, for the raw material I have to try to creat air-layerable trees, but It's hard to tell if it's really paying off. They just don't seem to put on the vigorous growth that a standard Japanese / Trident maple would.
Can't wait for the Fall show!

I mostly do my structural cut backs in the fall. The thinking behind this is that it will give the tree enough time to reallocate its energy to the weaker areas and buds and get them strong enough for the spring push. With that said, shishigashira is slow growing and will take that much longer than a regular palmatum to develop no matter what you do. It's the nature of the cultivar.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5 … does the paper wrap protect against wire bites as well? If yes, how effective is that? Assume gives you some time ‘cushion’ to react to potential wire bites?

Yes, it gives you quite a bit cushion allowing the wire to stay much longer on the branch.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, it gives you quite a bit cushion allowing the wire to stay much longer on the branch.

Is there a special technique to the paper wrap, or do you just wrap it on however you can get it to stay in place? Also, what kind of paper are you using? I imagine this would come in handy with beeches.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Look, it's a nice attempt for a beginner. And the concept is a great effort.
Having said that, I was very sad to see all the straight trunk sections disappear and the composition start to appear more like a miniature forest than a pot plant.
The addition of extra trees has really taken away from the original 2D design and made it look very 3D (not sure if that was your goal or not).

On a more serious note.
The left side.......with your comment "I always like forces unknown to us acting upon our trees dictating their behavior. I would love to get nice extensions on the left to push the branch lines further out" Does the primary left branch on the left most tree act as the edge of the forest composition? Or, will you add smaller trees at a later stage?

I know! I have to get better at making my trees flatter and not so dimensional! But I'm working on it! 😂🤪

Yes, the left most leading branch/trunk acts as a visual frame. It stops your eye and keeps you in the composition. I have no real plans in adding smaller trees to that side. I think it will add unnecessary clutter. Part of the idea is also the dramatic drop in scale and size from left to right.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is there a special technique to the paper wrap, or do you just wrap it on however you can get it to stay in place? Also, what kind of paper are you using? I imagine this would come in handy with beeches.

There is a way that you can very efficiently roll it onto the wire. You might see a tutorial on YouTube perhaps. I do know that Ryan shows the technique in a few of his live streams. Paper towels is usually what is used. The sheets are cut up in about 1" wide strips prior to applying it to the wire.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The places where trees grow this way are magical, and among my favorite areas.

Around here, it's where inland rivers and streams hit the lake or bay... Mixed dune/wood/wetlands territory.. with reasonable constant winds.

All your "lines" are in GREAT order... Truly evoking. Gonna have to keep the far right clump/tree pretty small, eh? ;)

Fantastic composition, Serge.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Sergio, so beautiful. Did you teach yourself to do the paper wrapped wire? When I first looked at the picture I thought it was silk. Too bad silk wouldn't work, it has a nice Asian vibe. Sometimes I open one of your posts just to see your wiring. It's the best I've seen. You do plenty of teaching as it is but I'd love to see you teach a basic wiring class. There's some hidden magic in it I'd like to see in motion. Thank you for sharing this beautiful translation you created.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio, so beautiful. Did you teach yourself to do the paper wrapped wire? When I first looked at the picture I thought it was silk. Too bad silk wouldn't work, it has a nice Asian vibe. Sometimes I open one of your posts just to see your wiring. It's the best I've seen. You do plenty of teaching as it is but I'd love to see you teach a basic wiring class. There's some hidden magic in it I'd like to see in motion. Thank you for sharing this beautiful translation you created.
All your "lines" are in GREAT order... Truly evoking. Gonna have to keep the far right clump/tree pretty small, eh? ;)

Thanks! Yes, the right side will need to be kept small and delicate. With the slow growth of these trees it should not pose much of a challenge.

Thanks Katie! I learned the technique from Ryan who I am sure picked it up from his teacher. In certain situations it's much better that using something like floral tape since it provides a greater amount of cushion.

There are certainly a few folks here with spot on wiring. A couple that come to mind are @Brian Van Fleet and @Adair M.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
There is a way that you can very efficiently roll it onto the wire. You might see a tutorial on YouTube perhaps. I do know that Ryan shows the technique in a few of his live streams. Paper towels is usually what is used. The sheets are cut up in about 1" wide strips prior to applying it to the wire.
Nice composition. Interesting technique with wrapping the wire. I was looking for the tutorial but to no avail. In case you can point me to where I can find it I would be very grateful. Thanks

Top Bottom