parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@thumblessprimate1 on the positively-trending air layers the leaves are alive and the color of the rest of the tree. On the downward-trending air layer the cambium appears to be dying and the leaves are lighter in color.

This summer has been rough, as we’ve had record high temperatures of record duration. I don’t have this tree under a shade cloth, so the leaves overall are a bit sun scorched.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@0soyoung the cambium below the girdle is the standard, beautiful deep green. Above the girdle it is lighter green in the shade and a dried up, reddish brown in the sun.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday I cut off the three air layers from last year. They had successfully overwintered and then leafed out.

The left tree was still partially fed by the host tree and its leaves are larger. The right two trees had shown cambium death below the layering site and their leaves were small, so I have more confidence they are actually fully ready to survive on the new roots.

Attachments

• A961A83A-60A0-4BF1-8564-953D2B757D67.jpeg
    A961A83A-60A0-4BF1-8564-953D2B757D67.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 89

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I still have the mother tree but only have one air layered individual. I’ve improved the structure of the mother tree but it was too rootbound to put on much growth. In order to keep it vigorous for layering I’ve potted it up into pumice and akadama
DD73DE33-69CA-4F7A-BFBD-512A88BA57D2.jpeg

To get there, I dug down about 2–3 inches from the top of the soil plus removed at least half from the underside of the roots. I used my sawzall to cut through the rootball and found some big, thick roots inside.
5F4B876B-CAEC-4AFF-85C8-D0180D30876A.jpeg

I’ll continue to take air layers once the tree is stronger. For now it’ll be a nice garden tree.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
daaaang the foliage color this year is amazing
CE13C8B9-0AF1-4EFA-8C0D-CA61E7BC348B.jpeg
(This isn’t the most flattering angle for its trunk)

Overall, the tree sulked as much as could be expected for that much root work. I lost some of the fine branching, which can happen anyway with this cultivar, but overall it “just” pushed 3–6 new nodes of growth from all existing buds.

I’m expecting next year it will be back to its normal of pushing out aggressive new growths.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks great. I picked up a rather large Shishigashira from a nursery this fall as well and just put the pot in the ground for winter. Still not sure if I should airlayer in the spring and then just up pot or just do a fuller root pruning (he's in a 20 gallon pot now). Not sure yet how to judge the health of the tree. Leaves are obviously much more curled than a regular japanese maple, but mine may be sun scorched etc as the leaves seem rather curled even for this cultivar. Also, black areas appear on the trunk when it rains, mostly in crotches. Not sure what that is and it can't be seen when the trunk is dry.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great. I picked up a rather large Shishigashira from a nursery this fall as well and just put the pot in the ground for winter. Still not sure if I should airlayer in the spring and then just up pot or just do a fuller root pruning (he's in a 20 gallon pot now). Not sure yet how to judge the health of the tree. Leaves are obviously much more curled than a regular japanese maple, but mine may be sun scorched etc as the leaves seem rather curled even for this cultivar. Also, black areas appear on the trunk when it rains, mostly in crotches. Not sure what that is and it can't be seen when the trunk is dry.
Interesting! Did you have a hot summer? The shishigashira leaves are extremely curly so I don’t think that’s unusual. If they’re crispy browned then that’s likely sun scorch.

From my experiences, the shishigashira bark is a bit more sensitive to sunburn than regular Acer palmatum, but maybe that’s been my luck for timing and tree positioning. I’m guessing and speaking off the cuff here, but I think I’ve experienced dark spots on bark can occur from hard to see layering or miniature damage that just goes invisible when dry. Are you interested in posting a photo?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Probably sun scorch. Summer wasn't too bad, but I'm not sure where the nursery kept this guy all summer - I bought it in the fall. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow of showing the black areas when wet. In the meantime, attached are two pics I had handy.

He's quite large and heavy - needed my son's help to get this pot in the ground and even then it was difficult. Not sure where I'm going with this tree, but at some point after the air layers (maybe a ground layer) and root work I think I'd like to have a larger specimen similar to the attached bonsai.

Attachments

• Shishi1.jpg
    Shishi1.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Shishi2.jpg
    Shishi2.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Shishi3.png
    Shishi3.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 47

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably sun scorch. Summer wasn't too bad, but I'm not sure where the nursery kept this guy all summer - I bought it in the fall. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow of showing the black areas when wet. In the meantime, attached are two pics I had handy.

He's quite large and heavy - needed my son's help to get this pot in the ground and even then it was difficult. Not sure where I'm going with this tree, but at some point after the air layers (maybe a ground layer) and root work I think I'd like to have a larger specimen similar to the attached bonsai.
Ohh that’s a lovely tree! So much potential. I definitely can visualize your target plans — that’s exciting.

Yeah, that looks like gentle sun scorch on those leaves.

Top Bottom