Shishigashira with black on trunk

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi, my little Shishigashira maple has gotten black all around the trunk at around the graft location. Doing some googling, this seems to indicate that the tissue in that spot is dead, possibly from some fungal infection. I bought this last year and grew without issues. It also has leafed out like normal this spring.

My question is, what should I do? Is it as bad as I think? Would it be advised that I just trow it away or should I at least try and take a cutting(s) of the part of the tree that does not seem affected so far? This is my only Shishigashira so if cuttings might be possible, I would like to give it a go. Also, I have read of people suggesting some anti fungal treatment, however I can't seem to find those kinds of products here in Sweden.

Any advise on how to proceed would be appreciated!

20230525_064302.jpg
20230525_064312.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Unfortunately by the time the infection gets this bad the tree is gone. The black means the sap pathways up the trunk are all dead and with nothing coming from the roots it is only a batter of time until the top dies.
I find this infection happens when the soil is wet and cold through winter and spring. I have very occasionally been able to save a tree by putting the pot up where it gets fresh air and stays drier but that only applies if the black has just started to show and has not progressed right round the trunk. Pots should be kept a bit on the dry side through colder months to reduce chances of this happening in future.

You could try cuttings but JM are not easy to grow as cuttings so chances are very slim.

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you @Shibui for your reply! I suspected as much😕

I will definitely give cuttings a go at least. Worst case is that they die, but if I don't try they are going to do that anyways so why not?🙂

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shishi grows very slowly and late frost can set it back years. I wouldnt bother with it, its a pain

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This video was very informative as usual from Jelle (I am a big fan of his videos) so I would watch it and follow what he says. I had similar issue with my Japanese maple but like Jelle when I cut the branch there was no black inside. So I did an emergency repot like Jelle did and now the black has started to go away so I am hopefully it will survive. I certainly may be wrong and it will still die though, but give it a shot.

Last edited:

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
The black color is the equivalent of necrosis: on a full-sized tree, one that recovers would have massive scars and dieback

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I couldn't save my pygmy when mine started and I caught it very quick and the cuttings withered quickly unfortunately.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow that is a real bummer. I’ll let you know if I’m the one who breaks the inevitable. Like I said the black on mine is going away fairly quickly, but like I said mine wasn’t black on the inside when I cut branches so maybe what I have is different.

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks @TrevorLarsen for your video suggestion! I had seen the video before, I also enjoy his videos a lot, but didn't think about it. However I had already made my attempt at taking cuttings so nothing left to try and repot. Hopefully one of these will pull through! Not holding my breath though...

Top Bottom