Shoguns Collected American Beech No. 2

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Beech are weird , this had its own roots but not a lot of fine.. there were areas all over with beech burls just on ground nothing else. Any who… collected this in some pumice with mostly leftover old soil I used from an earlier repot.. sealed the top. I just want it to survive then go from there. Last beech of season. 73D8A4AB-7DDF-41A2-BEF9-4EFB605232FD.jpeg235CD893-2DDA-4488-B232-66D2EF8C393A.jpeg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did precisely the same thing last year with several beeches, including some as large as the one you have. It turns out beeches are like pines in that they hate root work and rely heavily on root fungus. I was partly successful by giving the trees direct sun only from the east. A greenhouse is also a huge benefit. You can get a cheap pop-up greenhouse tent on Amazon that’ll last you for a season or two. With those few scraggly roots, a greenhouse might be essential, but then, I’m only an intermediate grower at best, so take that with a grain of salt.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you saw the other beech I collected, I left native soil on and feeder roots, I never wash soil off beech or hornbeam . I also inoculated with mycorrhiza

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What's the reasoning for leaving these so tall?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Which one? The beech ? Be at I haven’t had the chance to cut further, want to see how it buds out incase I can chop at different areas depending on size I want to pursue.. ….

Top Bottom