Shohin bald cypress...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This sweet package arrived today. Even happier with it in person. So much detail is hidden and not seen in 2D. Never did I realize I could have one this far north thinking it was a southern swamp tree only. As a conifer lover...this is just a sweet find.

image.jpg
20160427_132602.jpg

20160427_132453_001.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read the other thing....about this being hard to keep small....

While true....and though this may be a challenge....

I think it is hella cool to see a BC like this.

Plus .....it looks like a tree any one of us would think to gift you....kinda right up your alley!

I like the bonsai niche you have created for yourself.

If I was half as happy with my stuff, as you are with yours....I would be a much happier fella!

Nice!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Shucks @sorce ...I'm just a glass is always full type gal...and appreciative of what I'm blessed to find for my bench. Being so rural...It amazes me of the bonsai circle and connections I have. Your a happy fella...and if not...You need to go eat one of those special brownies or something. ;)

Will be interesting to see how large this gets in my care. I may have to man handle it to keep it relatively small I'm assuming. Yet allowing it to have growth to ensure it's healthy as well. I'm not overly concerned...My husband if anything can lug it around...After laying eyes on it...it's not going anywhere.

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I read the other thing....about this being hard to keep small....

While true....and though this may be a challenge....

I think it is hella cool to see a BC like this.

Plus .....it looks like a tree any one of us would think to gift you....kinda right up your alley!

I like the bonsai niche you have created for yourself.

If I was half as happy with my stuff, as you are with yours....I would be a much happier fella!

Nice!

Sorce
I'm not sure I agree. There's a guy in my club who has a Mame BC and the needles/leaves are around 1/4 the size of Darlene's. I asked how he managed to get them to reduce to that size and he just said he prunes them a lot (not very helpful). I have already noticed this year on my large one the foliage is about half the size as last years. I do agree about Darlene's bonsai niche though.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not sure I agree. There's a guy in my club who has a Mame BC and the needles/leaves are around 1/4 the size of Darlene's. I asked how he managed to get them to reduce to that size and he just said he prunes them a lot (not very helpful). I have already noticed this year on my large one the foliage is about half the size as last years. I do agree about Darlene's bonsai niche though.

Vin, would you mind finding out more specifics as to how he goes about doing so? Would totally appreciate any tidbits he might be able to offer up.

Thanks guys...never thought of my collection as a bonsai niche.

Also...would love to see this mame tree...if you ever get a chance to share a photo.

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
I said this on your fb post, and will here as well. That is a really awesome tree. I love the angles.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's a lot of character for such a small package. If the tree is really healthy and has a good root system, you almost can't prune them too much. Now, I found out the hard way that pruning heavily in the first year or so after collection, delays really good root growth.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
NIIIIIICE...
Thanks! Assuming Ben is your name?

cute little guy
Thanks Giga...I kept thinking...needs more for compact look. And kept cutting it back further and further...for that compact canopy to match the tree. I didn't have any regrets. But...was shocked at the main apex I cut back. But felt it really needed it...even with it having ramification. I recall Adair discussing an apex which went in the wrong direction as the base. Which mine did. So...off with it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really like too. I foresee a weeping willow styling to it. The B.C. Leaf characteristics could mimic the willow leaves in scale. I am not sure how easy it would be to keep the style in practice however.

Top Bottom