Shohin bald cypress...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No, take a photo of the pot and crop it, take a photo of the tree and crop the pot off it, then settle the cropped tree into the cropped pot... You just have to make sure you get the scale right to know for sure.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was only asking if you could take a photo of your tree and a photo of your pot and virtual them together instead of just sitting the tree in it (or behind or in front) to see if the scale of the pot is good for the tree. It’s hard to see when the rootball is so far above the rim of the pot as it’s sitting in it. I’m sure that the size is close though for what you want.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was only asking if you could take a photo of your tree and a photo of your pot and virtual them together instead of just sitting the tree in it (or behind or in front) to see if the scale of the pot is good for the tree. It’s hard to see when the rootball is so far above the rim of the pot as it’s sitting in it. I’m sure that the size is close though for what you want.[/QUOT

There, I cropped it. And put it into notes...and then placed photo unedited and it is the same size pot. So this is basically what it would be if I used a 9" pot.
image.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah looks a bit wide to me, maybe an 8" would be perfect if you're planning on keeping the tree basically the same size.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really like too. I foresee a weeping willow styling to it. The B.C. Leaf characteristics could mimic the willow leaves in scale. I am not sure how easy it would be to keep the style in practice however.
I'm leaning toward pulling the branches down into a more weeping style. I think you put the idea into my head. Pondering cutting at the blur line. It's to thick. From the year I was trying to understand it. And left the leader grow wild.
20190205_100842.jpg20190205_101337.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This has been postponed. My step mom had her colon ruptured. So this was on the backburner. My niece was in a horse riding accident today. It's not being mentioned on social media. Her parents don't want family there yet to feel they have to entertain while dealing with all they are facing. So...I decided to get this tree wired. Distracted...not sure I couldn't have done better if I wasn't distracted. But it's done. need to work on cleaning up the moss on those trunks in the greenhouse.
20190324_153258.jpg20190324_154354.jpg20190324_153819.jpg

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice job on a beautiful little BC.
Sorry about the family health issues. ?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all the family stuff, you'd been through a lot lately. But that tree is looking good.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice progress. I think you’ll feel rewarded for the effort with another season or two of growth.
I’m sorry about the familial health issues too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice progress. I think you’ll feel rewarded for your effort with another season or two of growth.
I’m sorry about the familial health issues too;
Thanks, indeed looking forward to another season. Understanding the species now, or better than when it first arrived. I feel does a lot with my taking it further, cutting it back hard last spring...needed done. I'm glad I did it. It allowed me to take it in this new direction.

And thanks, family issues...one takes one day at a time. I'm sure we all have our burdens to bear. But I'm sick of visiting the hospital. I recall when dad passed in October...hoping I was done there for awhile. But...you gotta do what you gotta do, and...life takes you back.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, indeed looking forward to another season. Understanding the species now, or better than when it first arrived. I feel does a lot with my taking it further, cutting it back hard last spring...needed done. I'm glad I did it. It allowed me to take it in this new direction.

And thanks, family issues...one takes one day at a time. I'm sure we all have our burdens to bear. But I'm sick of visiting the hospital. I recall when dad passed in October...hoping I was done there for awhile. But...you gotta do what you gotta do, and...life takes you back.

I have one ugly duckling BC that experienced some die back when we were having housing issues a few years ago and living on the 10th floor of an apartment; but it is still kicking I believe. I think I’m going to plant it out this year so I can grow some more options to work with on it.
What are your tips with the species? Cut back and wire in the spring. And do you have a routine for when the new growth starts coming in?

In many ways my dad was considerate with his hasty departure from our realm. I was joking with him one night from that apartment mentioned above; and he was gone the next morning. He was training for what was intended to be his final marathon (Boston), but I guess his heart wasn’t in it. Oh boy, now you got me going. Life sucks just as much as it is wonderful, so we might as well grow some trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have one ugly duckling BC that experienced some die back when we were having housing issues a few years ago and living on the 10th floor of an apartment; but it is still kicking I believe. I think I’m going to plant it out this year so I can grow some more options to work with on it.
What are your tips with the species? Cut back and wire in the spring. And do you have a routine for when the new growth starts coming in?

In many ways my dad was considerate with his hasty departure from our realm. I was joking with him one night from that apartment mentioned above; and he was gone the next morning. He was training for what was intended to be his final marathon (Boston), but I guess his heart wasn’t in it. Oh boy, now you got me going. Life sucks just as much as it is wonderful, so we might as well grow some trees.
So sorry to drudge up painful memories. Heart felt condolences...
For me...my tree being small. Cutting back hard and starting over was the best route. Possibly create your own thread on the matter asking direction. But...@Vin pinches his back often, and I am going to go that route as well. Just no hard cuts in the fall. I believe he or another experienced dieback from that. Wish you well. They are fun to work on.

Top Bottom