Shohin bald cypress??

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Somewhere, either here or with my LBS bonsai club, I heard the comment that bald cypress will not make a shohin-sized tree. Even if I imagined it, I'm going to try it. I went out and got one today and cut it back unmercifully to about 1 and 1/8" at the chop. Hopefully, I'll get a sprout close to the top to let grow to make the second section of the trunk. The way bald cypress grow in my climate, the tree will be well along by the end of this summer. The trunk has a bit more flair below the soil. I'll let more roots grow and trim that back later to give a wider base. I planted it, like all my collected bald cypress, in about 70 % organic soil. No plans to flood the tree........ just water it til it's soggy every day.

View attachment 470292
Very nice Joe! Keep us udated on this one. I have a BC that I plan to chop in 2024 I want the base to grow a bit more. Question: Brave to chop so early in our South La climate? What is your thinking behind the early chop?

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She doesn't come by these parts much anymore, but I always enjoyed @Cadillactaste's

Wow!!!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm tired of people... in general. I'm tired of not getting back time that was wasted on foolishness. I've come to take the hobby more seriously...and I'm a literal thinker.

That...and the post about God not being spoken of here...yet every other darn topic can be. That sealed the deal. God...comes first in my life... bonsai is way down on that list. 😉
That's when you use that little ignore button underneath their name... works wonders.

Top Bottom