Shohin Barberry, repotted and wired

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Berberis seems to be a common thread on the forum, so I thought I would add mine. Here is a tree that I have worked on for several years. It is the variety 'Bagatelle' which has very nice reddish purple foliage turning crimson in fall. I didn't like the look so last year I cut most of the branching off and regrew new ones for the new front I had planned. I rotated the tree 90 degrees to better see the movement of the gnarly trunk. Everything is in place, now I will work on the ramification. There is a couple of buds in place for the space near the top on the right. This bonsai was a large shrub that I cut back in stages, I finally like where it is at.

Attachments

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
It's quite nice. Very believable. Good bonsai.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Excellent shohin... Proportions are exceptional.. I did notice the little bud in the space on the right..after a small branch grows there it will practically be perfect as far as branch placement.

I was wondering if you have any pics of the tree when you first got it or shortly after...

Usually, I mostly hang around the juniper forum. However, maybe I should spend some time in this forum...

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
After seeing the rough material I can say that this is exceptional work!

Rob

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Ouch!

After all the talk about Berberis lately, I took advantage of an opportunity to pick up a few bare root Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea liners that were really cheap. Just to see if they would live here.

You all were not kidding about the thorns! :eek: Where I come from we call those things needles and we normally see them on cacti. :eek: Anyway this is my first experience with them so we will see what happens.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, the thorns are pretty nasty. I noticed too that some can be so small and thin, that they almost act like splinters where you don't notice them right away.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smoke Barberry Shohin Clump Progression Fruiting 7
berobinson82 Shohin Barberry Other Deciduous 15
MattB Shohin Barberry Other Deciduous 19
H Shohin Buckthorn Small bonsai (Mame & Shohin) 24
JudyB Kegon + Momokko shohin Flowering 2