Shohin Barberry

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thought I would post this little guy on here since it appears to be doing well after an early wake up. This is one of the Crimson Pigmy Barberry that I bought last spring. Will be attending a study group Saturday to get some spring work done on it. Little buggers love to throw out buds, it is going to be a continuous battle. Picture of last summer -> last fall -> this spring. Obvioiusly, there is alot of work to be done.

IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0233.jpg
IMG_1548.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg

Hopefully, will get a chance to update after this weekend's work.

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also come to think of it, this could just as easily be in the Misc. Other category. Feel free to move it if needed. It is definately not a deciduous tree, but more of a deciduous shrub.

Last edited:

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the result of this tree's spring makeover. I'm happy with where its going. First picture is the front, second is the back.

IMG_1570-1.JPG
IMG_1571-1.JPG

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quick update. Very rapid growers, it's actually very hard to see any branch structure now. I may look into defoliating in a few months to see whats going on.

IMG_1595.jpg
IMG_1598.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Barberries are very bad at developing branch structure. They usually throw leaves off of primary branches or send up long shoots that leaf at the ends...You have to let extension growth go, then prune back hard. Defoliation probably isn't going to help that process.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't defoliate. Rockm is right, these trees/shrubs are difficult to ramify. So much that I am thinking of dumping mine. They are a lot of work for not much reward.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"these trees/shrubs are difficult to ramify. So much that I am thinking of dumping mine. They are a lot of work for not much reward."

Me too, but the trunks are pretty nice, if you find an old one. Almost makes the other stuff (thorns, lack of intricate branching) bearable.

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was mainly looking to defoliate so I can see the wire I put on and reapply. I was warned that the branches will usually outgrow my wire within a season. Good to know they dont ramify much, I wont waste too much time stressing over it. Luckily, several of the branches from last year have shoots coming off them...so at least there is a small bit of hope. :)

The death thorns haven't seem to get underneath my skin yet, literally or figuratively...(I know, the thorn jokes get old) and since I only have 5 trees, I wont notice the extra work for little reward! I am in the process of getting some easier material this year, so hopefully that will give me something else to see progress on. Even if it ends up being a bush in a pot, it still has stunning colors and is a great change of pace from the bright green on every other plant in my yard.

Thanks for the responses, hopefully I don't give up on this one quite yet.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are still fun to work on and are a very tough tree. Sometimes the fall color on mine is outstanding and lasts for over a month.10.jpg

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They are still fun to work on and are a very tough tree. Sometimes the fall color on mine is outstanding and lasts for over a month.View attachment 22107

Absolutely love that photo of yours. If you decide to toss it, I can give you an address of a great dump site that would appreciate it :)

"You have to let extension growth go, then prune back hard"

Rockm, how long should i allow the shoots to grow before pruning back hard?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure, I don't need the photo for anything. That is Buster, the labradoodle who is well trained to protect my trees.10001.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Rockm, how long should i allow the shoots to grow before pruning back hard?"

At least until the shoot turns woody or "lignifies." That can take a few months to do. If you don't let the shoots mature, pruning them back will not produce much, if any backbudding. THis is true for most deciduous trees.

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update

Not much going on this year for most of my trees. No major progress or setbacks, just a picture before the leaves fall. Will be tossed under the deck for the next few months. I'll get it out, prune back some branches, and wire come spring.

New Image.jpg

Edit: I swear that picture was right side up a second ago. Fixed, hopefully.

Last edited:

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update on this Barberry:

Progress seems really slow with this.

Winter
IMG_1740-001.JPG

Currently:

IMG_0934.JPG
(Weird moss tried to go to seed)
IMG_0935.JPG

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks good and healthy. I would scrape that moss off the soil though. They are slow to progress so you're not doing anything wrong. Full sun is best.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Moss is cool when it does that. I would just keep it away from the trunk. Neat little tree.

MattB

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is a spring 2014 update. Hoping to fill out the canopy better this year. Also plan to remove one of the lowest bar branches if I ever get another well placed branch to grow.

These things would rather bud everywhere else on the tree than where I want it to.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 42

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Matt, really nice little tree! No one has mentioned and if you're thinking of removing branches, you should be aware that Barberry are very slow to heal over wounds, if ever. I always leave a stub to be worked as deadwood.

Top Bottom