Shohin black pine from seed

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Now THAT’S some micorrhyzae. This is what really healthy roots look like on black pine. If yours doesn’t look like this when you repot, do something different. Micorrhyzae has colonized the bottom of the pot.
749F9647-F8CF-4AA1-B0B4-D3E9E573B602.jpeg2FB607F6-430A-4947-9A6E-A7A469EE2188.jpeg2927EFB4-C9CE-47D9-9A44-D74A4C544BF2.jpegE31E156F-3927-4335-BCC0-A763707C882F.jpeg

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crazy white! Do you add micorrhyzae to your soil? How many years was it in that soil before the repot?

Great work and in such short time. Thanks for sharing.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If i saw all that white growth on pine roots without reading this i would have been quick to burn the tree. Thanks for the insight on what micorrhyzae colonization looks like.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Impressive work as always! I am really looking forward to learning more about grafting, such an amazing technique for the trees!

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Add a few new grafts to replace the one that failed.
View attachment 224712View attachment 224713

Thanks for the update.. I have some questions. Where in relation to the scion are you inserting the grafting nails? along side the scion or through the scion and up-side-down flat that you created with the chisel? I've done a little picture of how I understand the method below. Are the nails placed in the red dot locations or the blue? and if its the red dot locations do the rubber on the grafting nail hold the up-side-down 'L's flap closed? also aren't you worried that you could disturb the trunk/scion grafting union when hammering in the nails?

Scion.jpg

Please correct me if I have misunderstood anything re the above diagram.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the update.. I have some questions. Where in relation to the scion are you inserting the grafting nails? along side the scion or through the scion and up-side-down flat that you created with the chisel? I've done a little picture of how I understand the method below. Are the nails placed in the red dot locations or the blue? and if its the red dot locations do the rubber on the grafting nail hold the up-side-down 'L's flap closed? also aren't you worried that you could disturb the trunk/scion grafting union when hammering in the nails?

View attachment 225008

Please correct me if I have misunderstood anything re the above diagram.

Hi Drew. In your diagram, the scion should be a bit to the left of the vertical cut - the bark on the trunk is generally quite a bit thicker than that of the scion, so when you line up the cambium, the bark of the trunk extends to the right of the scion. I don’t put the nail through the scion - I put one on each side. Disturbing the scion would be bad, but the nails are important. Have to be careful putting them in.

S

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @markyscott also your grafts now look quite leggy now, how are you planning to shorten them? will you be aiming to cut back to the old set of needles at some point (red line)?
JBP grafts.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks @markyscott also your grafts now look quite leggy now, how are you planning to shorten them? will you be aiming to cut back to the old set of needles at some point (red line)?
View attachment 225030

Hi Drew. Yes. The future branch is below the red line. There are needles there which may form needle buds when I cut back this summer. If no needle buds form, there is more grafting in my future.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Leggy branches have some healthy backbuds that I’ll eventually use to build the future branches. These are extremely important and it’s important to keep them healthy.

E0430140-16FC-4127-A436-90F70465F42B.jpeg

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ends of the strong branches I decandled, but I left the interior buds alone. The strongest branches I cut back into last years growth, hoping to force needle buds further down the branch.

D62FC1F7-D165-42DC-962D-BBC5F2640C94.jpegAFBB8636-1BEC-41B4-A808-2FCD039758A1.png

Top Bottom