Shohin black pine from seed

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here’s a 10 year old seedling cutting I purchased from the grower about a year ago:

3A8BC65A-39F1-4718-88C3-C2CFCF12E15C.jpeg

It has a very nice twist near the base and I was motivated to build a shohin black pine from this tree. Issue is that the branches aren’t low enough to pull off a shohin. It’ll need a key branch at the first curve, a back branch and an apex.

This was the tree a year ago - time to start grafting:

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The process is just like performing a detached scion graft onto a branch, but the thicker bark and differential depth of the cambium makes this kind of graft much more challenging. Process involves cutting a wedge through the bark with a chisel:

312BF097-1E4E-48B9-8137-80A257351B76.jpeg 1A9C5D75-1F5F-4377-A6CE-3B3CB9DD58A6.jpeg

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I assume the scions were taken from the leggy branches?

Hi NY - they were cut from 1 season old mature summer shoots on decandled branches.

...I mentioned you make awesome threads?

Thank you - I appreciate that. They are just Scott’s adventures in bonsai.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Scott, I've seen these green grafting pins before but wanted an endorsement from someone I trust before buying them. It looks like you would recommend them given your success rate?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scott, I've seen these green grafting pins before but wanted an endorsement from someone I trust before buying them. It looks like you would recommend them given your success rate?

One could probably get away with something else, but once you use them it’s hard to go back. I recommend them.

Scott

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One could probably get away with something else, but once you use them it’s hard to go back. I recommend them.

Scott
Are they made with home improvement store items or specialty for Bonsai?

Top Bottom