Shohin Blackpine

Reaction score
Last January I have acquired a very old blackpine from a trade with my cork blackpine. I took a chance because it has fungus issue and very weak but it has a very good potential as shohin pine... The pine has a good nebari with nice taper and with proper wiring this tree would be very special in two years. I sprayed this with a combination of two strong fungicide and it recover in two months. From chuhin then cut back hard to shohin size at 6 inches then applied initial wiring... Last picture was taken today just to show that it did recover from fungus issues but didn't decandle this year because its to late and not strong enough for me....

IMG_3051a.JPG IMG_3054a.JPG IMG_2504ax.JPG IMG_8629a.JPG

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jesus Christ.
I'm gonna cry.

Guy I work with used to work with a guy who was real quiet, wouldn't say much all day, until he got fed up once in a while And Yell,

THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Humates? Magic?

Sorce

Reaction score
How do you differentiate fungus with bad care or bad medium? I do like this yewel a lot!

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very nice!. Could you please explain the signs of fungus issues that you noticed on the tree before buying it? Was it in the roots or in the foliage? what does it look like?

Reaction score
How do you differentiate fungus with bad care or bad medium? I do like this yewel a lot!

The best way to avoid problems with your blackpine is to ensure proper growing medium which is fast draining soil... Blackpine that are stressed, root bound, bad soil are more susceptible to disease of needle blight or needlecast...

Reaction score
Very nice!. Could you please explain the signs of fungus issues that you noticed on the tree before buying it? Was it in the roots or in the foliage? what does it look like?

Signs of fungus in blackpine is when the needles are turning yellow then becomes brown and eventually will die slowly if not treated right... Rootbound, bad soil, watering at night are some of the most common signs of getting fungus in your trees...

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maria, does watering at night cause fungus by means of what happens in the soil or is it also unfavorable to mist the needles at night without actually wetting the soil?

Also, how long was it kept in the pond basket?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol @Shorty54 had to go and remind me!

Bump. Bump.

If you ain't seen it yet....
You oughhta!

Sorce

BK Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome, I love recovery stories. Where did you get that awesome perforated bin to train it in?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Great thanks! They are used to produce a strong root ball by trimming any roots that protrude the basket, correct? Any other benefits/tips for this method?
The roots are "air pruned"...no shears needed. The end result is a strong growing tree with a well ramified root system.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Misting at night is just as bad as watering at night.
Sorry if this has been discussed before.. but why? This is more true for black pines than other trees? What if it rains at night?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nothing you can do about the rain. Which is why you have to spray.

Fungus grows in wet conditions. Wetting the foliage at night lets the foliage stay wet longer. Watering during the day allows the sun to evaporate the water off the foliage.

The best approach is to hand water around noon, and only watering the soil and not the foliage. That's not practical for a lot of people, unfortunately. But that's one of the primary jobs of the apprentices in Japan. Owen Reich nicknamed the apprentices "watering drones"!

Top Bottom