Shohin Bonsai and Branch Structure

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello folks.

I‘ve got a couple of small trees that I'm plannIng on making into Shonhin bonsai and I wanted to ask a question about branch structure. I’m aiming to develop a primary branch and maybe a second ati too, but what happens after that? As you move up the tree, the gaps between branches are naturally going to reduce - how are branches meant to be arranged? Are bar branches “allowed”? Or must they still be avoided?

Thanks all,

Andy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There is no real difference in developing branches for shohin and full size bonsai. So any and all the comments you have read about developing branch structure apply to shohin.

Small size makes for fewer branches. Fewer degrees of ramification, but otherwise the aesthetic guidelines remain the same. No bar branches, for example. Generally, just as in large bonsai, for shohin, bar branches should be avoided. And just as for large bonsai, there are the rare occasions where you can get away with a bar branch. But generally avoid them.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I may add one thing...

For a tree (conifer) intended time be on the top of the traditional Shohin box stand, that tree is elevated, usually above eye level. Which means that the lowest branches need to be really low, otherwise, the viewer is looking up at the underside of the branches. Which generally isn’t the most attractive view.

Top Bottom