Shohin Buttonwood from Wigerts

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Received this shohin sized buttonwood today from Wigerts that I got through their eBay auctions. It’s in a really beautiful Bunzan pot. I love the deadwood and movement and can’t wait to have a tree I can finally practice refinement techniques on.

Honestly, this is my nicest tree yet and thought you guys might appreciate it. I’m stoked to work on it!
01C5D6AD-B402-4AC7-9C34-4D4A304BB74C.jpegF17F8862-B76B-4812-A514-9FD3535AB868.jpegB45E3EEB-96B0-435B-9EBD-C8667CC57057.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is really exciting. I have considered buttonwood but simply don't have any more room for tropicals. Between all my lighting and the cost of firing my kiln, I have an electric bill that is out of site.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is really exciting. I have considered buttonwood but simply don't have any more room for tropicals. Between all my lighting and the cost of firing my kiln, I have an electric bill that is out of site.
This summer was hell for my electric bill, so I’m in the opposite boat. Lol

Thankfully I’ve cut down on some succulents/cacti this year (thanks to my ability to kill these things), so I should have space for everything to move into my grow room for winter.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Very nice and love the pot.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, this guy has been struggling. Tbh I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing wrong, partially looks fungal and not sure how best way to treat it. Been getting a good amount of sun and water. Temps have been steadily in the 80s-90s with lows in the 50s-60s.

I’m stressed because we leave on a trip here in a few days for a week and have no one to babysit the tree.

I reached out to Wigerts for maybe some suggestions. Figured maybe others here might have some recommendations as well.
8C7F9F68-60EE-452B-9C9A-E1B49B573A0F.jpeg6F9742DB-FC02-4720-B007-2D37729D59C3.jpeg025C83B4-B962-4618-A400-560FE22D837D.jpeg

David Ruth

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How's this tree doing? Did Wigert's respond with anything helpful? They've been busy with hurricane recovery.
It looks like a small pot, a water hungry tree and rapid draining soil. A recipe for watering several times a day.
And that's what it looks like.
Except for black areas on the foliage. Never seen that on my buttonwoods.
I put my buttonwoods in slightly oversized pots and use a more water retentive soil than most my other trees and I'm still watering the Buttonwoods a couple times a day in the Florida summer..
But that's not helpful right now because it's too late to repot a buttonwood.
I also don't expose the buttonwoods in containers to below 55F. Others may say it can go lower but that's my cutoff. They don't like to get cold.
So:
Don't let it dry out. Ever. Water soil not leaves.
Don't let it get cold. Early protection.
If you're convinced it's fungal apply a mild fungicide. Daconil seems safe for Buttonwoods. Be careful as some insecticides seem toxic to Buttonwoods. I successfully use imidiclodrid to control insects on Buttonwood.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, this guy has been struggling. Tbh I’m not entirely sure what I’m doing wrong, partially looks fungal and not sure how best way to treat it. Been getting a good amount of sun and water. Temps have been steadily in the 80s-90s with lows in the 50s-60s.

I’m stressed because we leave on a trip here in a few days for a week and have no one to babysit the tree.

I reached out to Wigerts for maybe some suggestions. Figured maybe others here might have some recommendations as well.
View attachment 459121View attachment 459123View attachment 459124
Looks to me like it got too dry. Way too dry. Even the soil surface in the pic looks dry.

If it is still alive, for your trip just put it in a large bowl or casserole dish of water, some where in your house with bright light but not direct sun. I do keep my buttonwood in direct sun normally, but this is what I do when I have to leave for a few days in the winter months.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just a little update:
The pic above was taken right when I got home one day from work. I had a sneaking suspicion it dried out too much due to being away most of the day. Wigerts agreed with it looking dried out. I well watered after this pic and upon their suggestion decided to do a water submersion the next day to help try and recover the roots. I decided ultimately to take it with me on vacation. That way I could at least directly oversee the care of the tree since I didn’t have anyone would could take care of it. It did okay, but definitely not great. I think it dried out too much and I’ve been just trying to play recovery. It started losing branches that turned black or brown. I’m not sure how well these guys backbud, but most of the right side is probably going to die off if they don’t back bud readily. There’s still some buds that appear to be growing and I’ve been keeping it outside in my utility room under pretty bright grow lights where I keep all my tropicals in winter. I have it in propagator to help with humidity and a heat mat underneath to keep temps up. Outside they’ve been dropping into the mid to low 40s at night and I just feel keeping a consistent temp is better for it at this point. It stays between 65 at night to 85 during the day in the propagator. I try to take it out once a day or so to either water it or let it get fresh air. If y’all have any suggestions outside what I’m doing so far to try and recover it, I’m all ears. It’s been a very unfortunate learning experience that couldn’t have happened at a worse time. I take responsibility for not watering it before leaving for work, just one of those days in a hurry and forgetting. I’ll try and get some pics later tonight when I get home.

Last edited:

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like it's getting too dry to me as well. In my experience with wigerts, their soil in fully potted bonsai works awesome for their climate, but can be really really freely draining if it is too dry/hot in your climate. I've slip potted into larger pots with more organic pine bark/akadama mix to keep the water retention up until I can repot into a soil that works for my humidity/heat/precipitation.

David Ruth

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Automated watering is a huge benefit with a buttonwood in a small pot. Don't let it get dry! Ever!
Slip potting is a good option but until roots grow into the new soil you have the same watering challenge.
65-85F is a fine temp range. They do love light. Lots of light. Give it light if you can.
When you get to next summer and you're ready to repot into something a little bigger and maybe 100% akadama remember that buttonwood roots are incredibly fragile.
Repot as the hottest part of summer starts. No less than 70F lows at night. Heat mat can mitigate some of that.
Slow and careful with the chopstick and low water pressure if you use a hose for the repot. You don't need to get all of the Wigert's soil all out on the first repot. It's good soil but even they would water that several times a day.
Backbudding shouldn't be an issue with a buttonwood. Backbuds like crazy with a healthy tree.
Good luck!

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Very nice little buttonwood. They're collected in south Florida and yours should do well in Texas when it recovers. I think slip potting is a good idea.

@David Ruth Do you know of any bonsai shops or vendors in St. Augustine? We have a condo there and will be up later this year. Haven't been up since the hurricane and the beach looks like it took a hard hit, at least it did where we are.

Thanks if you know of any bonsai places there...We've never seen a place. There used to be a guy at the Sat. market but don't think he has bonsai anymore.

Thanks...

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks for the Instagram page but it doesn't have an address? Do you know where it's going to open...On the island or the mainland?

David V at D&L is a friend. He does a great job with his nursery and treats everyone with respect.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But you have pots 👍

Top Bottom