Shohin California Juniper

Reaction score
California Junipers! We are really into collecting big, large, giant california junipers if we have a chance to collect them... I myself been doing that for the past 5 years with Harry Hirao and its just keeps getting better and better... I like big trees if they have a good potential but i won't pass out a shohin california juniper if i see a good one.. Sometimes they are more harder to find if you are looking for a good one... :)

Attachments

• IMG_6741ax.JPG
    IMG_6741ax.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6742ax.JPG
    IMG_6742ax.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_6743ax.JPG
    IMG_6743ax.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6747ax.JPG
    IMG_6747ax.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 198

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good! :) Thanks for sharing. I have only found one really good shohin RMJ so far.

Are these desert collected juni's?

Reaction score
Looking good! :) Thanks for sharing. I have only found one really good shohin RMJ so far.

Are these desert collected juni's?

Yes...all collected at Mojave desert at a private ranch...

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes...all collected at Mojave desert at a private ranch...

Nice little trees, Peter.

I haven't collected for the past 3 years, but I decided that I want to make at least 10 trips this year, starting Thanksgiving.
I remember about 10 years ago my first collecting trip, it was Thanksgiving weekend, and I was all by myself on a private land up in Tehachapi. I dug out 3 trees, and all three survived. I gave the owner of the land $25 for each tree. It was a small ranch. I just walked up the house, knocked on the door, and asked the guy whether I can dig some trees on his land. He looked at me as if I was a little crazy, then, as soon as I offered money, he said "Sure". My wife was with me on that day, she was terrified of the big dogs barking at us, so she just stayed in the car.

Still have 2 of them. The third died when a wind knocked the tree off my bench two years ago.

So, end of November is a good time to start digging.

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So are they dormant there now? Or is there a dormancy period in so-cal? Sorry for my ignorance but this does make some sense, as many nurseries dig their trees after frost when the trees are dormant...

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So are they dormant there now? Or is there a dormancy period in so-cal? Sorry for my ignorance but this does make some sense, as many nurseries dig their trees after frost when the trees are dormant...

Just before Thanksgiving, the temperatures will start getting down to below freezing during the night and early morning, here in the Mojave desert. And the Junipers start their dormancy period. During their dormancy, you can collect them already. No need to wait till spring because here in LA there is no real danger of winter frost damage of the freshly collected trees.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hey, Dan....How is collecting up there in Wyoming? I was in the Yellowstone area this past summer, you've got some amazing nature and mountains in the area. I'd like to go every year if I had the chance. Beautiful country...

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, Dan....How is collecting up there in Wyoming? I was in the Yellowstone area this past summer, you've got some amazing nature and mountains in the area. I'd like to go every year if I had the chance. Beautiful country...

Attila, I do quite a bit of collecting up here. It's huge blessing living right next to the Rocky Mountains! Give me a heads up next time you're out here and I'd be glad to set up a little collecting trip or something. - I'm in south eastern WY, so it may be out of your way. But let be know :)

I've never really collected up in the north western part of the state but I'm sure there is a lot there.

Reaction score
finish wiring my shohin california junipers and its 8 inches and below... maybe repot early spring... :)

Attachments

• IMG_6765ax.JPG
    IMG_6765ax.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6766ax.JPG
    IMG_6766ax.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6747axx.JPG
    IMG_6747axx.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 105

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job! Those look really good :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The second one has really caught my eye. Such a nice sweeping line. Lovely, thanks for sharing these.

Top Bottom