SHOHIN CASCADE Kiyohime

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Starting a new thread on this shohin maple. Last year in late winter, I placed this tree in a refrigerator in an effort to delay bud brake. I kept the tree inside it for nearly three weeks. Unbeknownst to me, the dry air inside the fridge desiccated the fine twigs and branches despite being kept well watered during that period.

In case anyone is interested here is the original thread on this maple: http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/shohin-maple-repotted.7349/

Photo below was one of the last ones I took before the refrigerator incident happened.

Here is the tree, or what's left of it, just a few days ago as I took it out of its pot. Clearly what is left is only a faint shadow of its former self.

After considering a few possibilities of what I could do with this tree, I decided to flip it on its side and presto! The tree has reinvented itself as a cascade. I did not cut any roots but simply put into a larger container in the hopes that it will encourage vigorous growth this year. I made no effort at wiring or pruning it at this point except some dead areas. The goal now is to continue to build its strength and let it grow for at least a year or two.

It is budding well this spring which is encouraging.

Here is a rough virtual of the general design direction for the future.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I feel like I am your stalker on this forum sometimes! LOL

I love Maples and you have some good ones... Always interested to see what you are up to. Do not see many Maple cascades. This is a species that tends to grow it's strongest branches on top... You gonna grow it on it's side so the cascading branch points up to keep the vigor in that branch?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At least you were able to salvage it. Most are not so fortunate.
I think it will make a very nice and unusual cascade in the future.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
kiyohime's do not grow it's strongest branches on top actually...they are weakest up top. This tree will make a great cascade. Sorry about the forced restyling! It was a nice tree before, and now it'll be a nice tree in several years
Ok, I was thinking of KOTOhime... Always get those two confused! Both smaller varieties, the Kotohime is very upright with small leaves.. Kiyohime is a Maple disguised as a pancake! LOL... You are right..

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I feel like I am your stalker on this forum sometimes! LOL

I love Maples and you have some good ones... Always interested to see what you are up to. Do not see many Maple cascades. This is a species that tends to grow it's strongest branches on top... You gonna grow it on it's side so the cascading branch points up to keep the vigor in that branch?

Well I prefer to call it inquisitive :p

I don't think there is a need to grow it on its side. Kiyohime are basally dominant ;) I am sort of excited for this solution since I only have two cascade maples. There are not common at all as you said.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
kiyohime's do not grow it's strongest branches on top actually...they are weakest up top. This tree will make a great cascade. Sorry about the forced restyling! It was a nice tree before, and now it'll be a nice tree in several years

Yes correct they are strongest at the base. Thanks it was a real heartbreaker but you live and learn. I hope to make something out of it. We shall see :)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So this is the one with refrigerator damage. My kotohime I put in The fridge also suffered severe twig dieback. Same as yours, I basically have the trunk and one branch that's growing good, rest are Brown/black.

Even a humidity tray didn't help.

Like you said you live and you learn.

Never. Again.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
So this is the one with refrigerator damage. My kotohime I put in The fridge also suffered severe twig dieback. Same as yours, I basically have the trunk and one branch that's growing good, rest are Brown/black.

Even a humidity tray didn't help.

Like you said you live and you learn.

Never. Again.

Yes this is the same tree. I had a couple of others that suffered but much less. I have used the refrigerator for some of my shohin before but for shorter periods of time with no damage at all. It is safe to say that I will be staying away from the fridge for a while... perhaps forever! I nearly lost one of my best shohin. It will be years before I can reconstruct it again albeit differently. Oh well...

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Oh man, my heart sank as I read that first paragraph... I almost didn't want to scroll down! That's a terrible shame and I feel your pain, but at least the tree didn't die, and a cascade shohin maple will be amazing in time. Good luck and thanks for sharing :)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bummed to read about this, but looking forward to how it develops from here.

So...people do use refrigerators for bonsai (especially in areas that are not cold enough for the species they want to grow). What is the trick? Is it possible to humidify the inside enough to not get this kind of damage? Maybe partly cover the tree (with plastic or something else) to cut down on any drafts and raise the humidity in the immediate area?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bummed to read about this, but looking forward to how it develops from here.

So...people do use refrigerators for bonsai (especially in areas that are not cold enough for the species they want to grow). What is the trick? Is it possible to humidify the inside enough to not get this kind of damage? Maybe partly cover the tree (with plastic or something else) to cut down on any drafts and raise the humidity in the immediate area?

Thanks Chris! Yes and I know they can/do work. I have read of people placing bags over the trees. That may do it? I'll let someone else provide specifics in how to successfully keep bonsai inside the fridge. Until then I am keeping them all out! I am traumatized by it! :eek:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am traumatized by it! :eek:

I know the feeling, I am not having a good spring either this year....
I have some trees that are coming out of winter in pretty bad shape.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work...that reminds me I have to go squeeze myself some lemonade;)

I need to go look around for a tree to take all but one of the branches on....hmmmmm

Top Bottom