SHOHIN CASCADE Kiyohime

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ya, truthfully i rarely have to water the pot. the tree looks healthy, but just hasn't grown in the last 6 months....we shall see what happens in the future :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks source I appreciate it. I think is a nice pot but perhaps better suited for a flowering tree than a maple? I'm afraid the strong color would be too powerful and in autumn it would match rather than complement the leaves. Maybe shape wise it could work though :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How has this one filled out so far this summer?

It has but Kiyohime has a tendency (for the most part) to produce one flush of growth for the year and calls it quits. It is strong now and everything that survived is very healthy which is good news. I will be sure to do a fall/winter update. I am anxious to see it leafless and see where I am and where I need to go.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
In my area, mine are on their second flush right now. Not so strong as in the Spring. I can't recall if mine are the Murasaki Kyohime or if it's just the Kyohime though.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In my area, mine are on their second flush right now. Not so strong as in the Spring. I can't recall if mine are the Murasaki Kyohime or if it's just the Kyohime though.

Nice! It has been tough for me to get it to grow a second time :(

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
mine puts out the leaves initially once per year, then calls it quits...it's a slow grower!
Mine tend to flush in spring stall all summer then apparently think it's spring again in the fall with a second burst so I have to time pruning mine just right.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
wow...my kiyohime is growing stronger than it ever has...it liked the more organic soil i guess! :) just have to decide how to style it now

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
no guts no F'ing glory...did a chop today since my kiyohime began the spring very vigorous

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    494.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 173

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A quick update on this kiyohime. The tree has put a great deal of growth this year. Not much work has gone into it yet because I wanted to get it strong again. It is now ready for the next phase. Next spring it will be pruned, wired and repotted into a smaller container.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is the tree as it looked today before and after. This kiyohime has now received it's first styling as a cascade. Although I was hoping to put in a smaller container this spring, I think I may leave it for now and let it keep developing in its current pot. I wired one small branch pointing up to eventually create an apex and kept some growth where the main branch meets the trunk, to make a small side branch from it. By around June/July, wires will be removed and branches will be set into their new positions.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a very tight distance from the trunk to the bottom of the descending branch. What shape of pot are you thinking of using if you display it?
Doesn't seem to much room for a healthy root ball.

I ask because I know I'll get a considered answer I can learn from!:cool::D:D:D

Sometimes when I look at Bill V's cascading Maples, I really appreciate the airy feeling he creates. I think Japanese Maples look great like that.
But I certainly can appreciate a twiggy branch structure just as much.:rolleyes::D:D:D

Just imagine me as Horschack.......oooo.....ooooo....oooo;)

Top notch work with this one, I like it!!:)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's a very tight distance from the trunk to the bottom of the descending branch. What shape of pot are you thinking of using if you display it?
Doesn't seem to much room for a healthy root ball.

I ask because I know I'll get a considered answer I can learn from!:cool::D:D:D

Sometimes when I look at Bill V's cascading Maples, I really appreciate the airy feeling he creates. I think Japanese Maples look great like that.
But I certainly can appreciate a twiggy branch structure just as much.:rolleyes::D:D:D

Just imagine me as Horschack.......oooo.....ooooo....oooo;)

Top notch work with this one, I like it!!:)

Good question Lance. Below is a sketch of what I have in mind. I may ask Roy Minarai to make it.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahhh I love this tree!! I don't usually like cascade designs much, but this one is captivating. That pot is going to take it to the next level for sure.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ahhh I love this tree!! I don't usually like cascade designs much, but this one is captivating. That pot is going to take it to the next level for sure.

Thanks Grant. Glad you like it. It is inspired by the great Spanish architect Gaudi. I sort of see it with all those beautiful glazed drips that Roy does so beautifully!

EDIT: I also don't like cascades much, but in maples they are not very common.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 8.39.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 8.39.30 PM.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 117

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Grant. Glad you like it. It is inspired by the great Spanish architect Gaudi. I sort of see it with all those beautiful glazed drips that Roy does so beautifully!

EDIT: I also don't like cascades much, but in maples they are not very common.

Wow! Even the tree itself reflects the architectural style. Can't wait to see the whole composition all together!

Top Bottom