SHOHIN CASCADE Kiyohime

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
i really like this, really going all out for this one little tree is so cool to watch.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Here is the piece all back together again. It was not easy and stressful since I had a live (and delicate) tree to contend with while cobbling the pieces back together. I feel confident it is now stronger than before with the steel rod and the two part epoxy holding everything in place. The composition is more upright now while the base appears even more gravity defying than before which I personally really like.

View attachment 363157

Here is where the rod is located to securely hold the top in place.

View attachment 363158
WOWSER!!

That looks absolutely fabulous!! You did a fine job of the repair without damaging the tree further! :eek::cool::cool:

John 👍

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had a photo op fiasco...had my backdrop take sail from the wind. I dropped the phone trying to catch the tree. Everything hit the ground. My root stand needed repairs...but my tree and pot (ROR winged elm) come out okay. No broken branches or pot. But I know that moment of fear i felt...and can only imagine this amazing composition...and finding it in two pieces...then dealing with it to secure it back together. Well done .. tree looks to have come out unscathed for the most part and healthy. Always a plus. This tree has battle scars. But then all you see is the beauty of an overcommer. The history of this tree...is a sweet Lemonade when you really ponder what it's been through. Your wit...and creativity always shows in spades. Well done Sergio. Sorry the incident happened. But so glad that you recovered well.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't wait to see this in winter! Hopefully I will get some good autumn color but not counting on it. For some reason can't quite get this one to color up well.

Beautiful composition. My kiyohime never produces very good fall color. From everything I've heard and read, that seems pretty typical of the variety.

Edit to add...browsed through Bill's Classical Bonsai Art book, he has some autumn photos of kiyo hime that have pretty good color so maybe one of these years!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful composition. My kiyohime never produces very good fall color. From everything I've heard and read, that seems pretty typical of the variety.

Edit to add...browsed through Bill's Classical Bonsai Art book, he has some autumn photos of kiyo hime that have pretty good color so maybe one of these years!

Chris, so far the tree has near to perfect leaf margins on most of the foliage. Hardly any scorching at all. First year ever that I've been able to keep the leaves from browning out. By this time the leaves usually look tired and tattered. Not so this time. So I'm really hoping for a good autumnal coloration. We shall see. A rather rainy year (although brutally hot at times) coupled with the fact that I have been home quite a bit may have helped?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chris, so far the tree has near to perfect leaf margins on most of the foliage. Hardly any scorching at all. First year ever that I've been able to keep the leaves from browning out. By this time the leaves usually look tired and tattered. Not so this time. So I'm really hoping for a good autumnal coloration. We shall see. A rather rainy year (although brutally hot at times) coupled with the fact that I have been home quite a bit may have helped?

Yea I was thinking it might be the fact that we have had a wetter year. We have had some hot days but they havent been that many at least here by me

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very cool !
The transition to the tray from the base of the stone is really nice.Great colors!
Happy Autumn.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And now leafless. Kiyohime becomes extremely brittle as spring approaches. Very tough to wire without snapping branches particularly at this small scale. So I wired a bit now to start moving and repositioning certain branches. It will need further work as I used the original back of this tree as my new front in order to make this composition work.

IMG_0595.jpg

kiyohime .jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And now leafless. Kiyohime becomes extremely brittle as spring approaches. Very tough to wire without snapping branches particularly at this small scale. So I wired a bit now to start moving and repositioning certain branches. It will need further work as I used the original back of this tree as my new front in order to make this composition work.

View attachment 410538

View attachment 410539

View attachment 410540
Wow! The blue/gray of the stone is an almost perfect match for the bark color! Beautiful!!!

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great thread and absolutely wild tree. Love how you rolled with the punches and reinvented the tree. (You also answered my question of why not put the bonsai in the fridge over winter).

Top Bottom