Shohin chinese elm (from s-shaped to something else)

Reaction score
I was given this bonsai about 1.5 years ago and its been responsible for my initiation in this journey.

It was a a very "nice" s-shaped elm like any of those 25000 produced annually.It also seems to be grafted, although I'm not sure why they would with such a species...

Anyways, inspired by other posts and internet pages, I decided to cut it back agressively, last spring and I have been trying to develop a nicer tree. All what's left has been re-grown from the first brach which was wired up to make the trunk. I repotted it earlier this year and I just gave it a prune after the first spring flush. These guys really grow like crazy.

I need to work on the cutting scar. I think it stopped.

Also not sure about that tiny lower shoot. Whether to keep it, letting grow thicker and incorporate it the design or just remove it... So I left it for now. Any suggestion?

I know it's not a great tree, but I like it. It was my first and hope you enjoy it as well
IMG_0026.jpg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You have a nice start with good taper. Certainly an imprivement on the standard S shape. Now you need a lower left branch to balance the lean of the trunk. Maybe not as low as the current bud.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
It also seems to be grafted, although I'm not sure why they would with such a species...

@Gustavo Martins , if you find out WHY these Elms are grafted (??????????) please tell me.
I have one myself that is obviously grafted (there is a chopstick inserted between old and new trunks; see: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/is-this-a-graft-or-a-trick.31774/)
They grow so fast in my climate, I'm sure there is no need of any grafts... But may be wrong.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Gustavo Martins , if you find out WHY these Elms are grafted (??????????) please tell me.
I have one myself that is obviously grafted (there is a chopstick inserted between old and new trunks; see: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/is-this-a-graft-or-a-trick.31774/)
They grow so fast in my climate, I'm sure there is no need of any grafts... But may be wrong.
Usually root cuttings are used for the mallsai and the change of color is just that, what was root and now exposed is where you see the circular graftlike line

Top Bottom