Shohin Chinese Elm

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I finally got everything transfered over to my new computer! So, to keep the tree posting alive I will show a shohin Chinese Elm that I took in trade a year or so ago. This little guy has an amazing nebari under the moss.
This winter I will clean the moss off the nebari, wire some of the new shoots and possibly thin it out a bit.
Here is it in its fall colors. Pot it by Erin Pottery.

More on my blog, bigger and better pics...... http://www.jasonsbonsai.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• fall 002.jpg
    fall 002.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 375
  • fall 003.jpg
    fall 003.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 289

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree reminds me a lot of the air-layer elm that I posted about here. Can you show more photos now that the leaves have dropped? I would like to see what you do with the branch structure - the challenge I have with these guys is that they throw such strong growth from everywhere that it is tough to keep the design clean.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

Yes, tonight I will get pictures of it in all its Naked glory, lol!

Nice to see you back around!

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason,

Nice tree photo but the BEER is a bit out of focus. You are making it tough for us right coasters to see what the hip beers are on the left coast.

Oh, nice tree. Its a beauty. Look forward to seeing it dormant and seeing the nebari.

Can we request trees to be posted from the blog? I would love to see and discuss that twisted trunk JBP. I am interested as I have what could be a similar style but it's a JRP.

Cheers!

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Like I said in this first post, this is a tree I made a trade for. I can't take credit for most of the work, but I will be doing some thinning and adding some wire in the next few days.... But for now here she is naked and showing it all! You can see some mess in there and is in need of attention.

Anyways, Hope you enjoy it, I know I do! I also have a large corkbark elm I bought for next to nothing at a hole in the wall nursery that I am going to airlayer a few little great trees off of. If they didn't have potential to be killer in a short time I wouldn't waste my time. ;)

Front1.jpg

Left side
Left.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice elm. I really love the very shape of it. The shape of the nebari really adds to the look of the nebari with the pedistal shape. I hope to see this tree later in April when I come up to see you. So...get ready!!

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
You are coming for a visit? thanks for the warning, this gives me time to batten down the hatches and hide.... haha,:D You are always welcome anytime you want Al. It would be good to have you here.

Thanks, Jason

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice elm. I really love the very shape of it. The shape of the nebari really adds to the look of the nebari with the pedistal shape. I hope to see this tree later in April when I come up to see you. So...get ready!!

If you come that close and don't come the extra 1.5hrs to see me and Vic.... I'll be sad... and she will hold it against you :p ;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you come that close and don't come the extra 1.5hrs to see me and Vic.... I'll be sad... and she will hold it against you :p ;)

Well....I just might. Though I will see you both later in the year in Riverside. I only have a week to do a whirlwind tour so it will be fast to say the least.

Dates to follow, Al

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is one of the best small elms I think I have ever seen. Are you going to thin it out this spring ?

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Dave.

Thanks for the good word on the tree....yes, one evening this week I will thin out some of the small branches that are not needed. It will still be pretty ramified when I am done though, just a bit more tidy.

Thanks, Jason

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Updated

Here is an update on this little guy. The previous pot was just too much for the tree so while I was thinning and looking to reposition some branches I also decided to repot it as well. I think the new pot really brought the tree out and made the tree much more powerful. I like it.

For the whole process and many, many more pictures see my blog including the final picture with the branches wired and guy wired. http://jasonsbonsai.blogspot.com/2010/01/shohin-chinese-elm.html

058.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Jason

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is an update on this little guy. The previous pot was just too much for the tree so while I was thinning and looking to reposition some branches I also decided to repot it as well. I think the new pot really brought the tree out and made the tree much more powerful. I like it.

For the whole process and many, many more pictures see my blog including the final picture with the branches wired and guy wired. http://jasonsbonsai.blogspot.com/2010/01/shohin-chinese-elm.html

Thanks for looking.

Jason

I think someone forgot to tell you that there is supposed to be some soil in the pot!

Nice, looks like trees potted in Japan. Thats the way there supposed to fit in a pot!

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice Jason. :) Thanks for sharing an update on this tree.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Jason,

I like the composition. I had to go back and forth between the two (original and the latest) to decide on the pot. This one is definitely better.

I find the tree a little high. I know we are permitted the pot depth which this one comes close, but I prefer trees a little deeper. What say you, and would it be possible. I think it adds greater stability to the composition.

Attachments

• Project0.jpg
    Project0.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 86

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice repot, it makes the tree look so much stronger. Please show us a picture when it starts to leaf out in spring.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If it offends you that I took a few liberties virtually with this tree, ...please ignore my question.

Have you considered removing the branch from the inside of the curve? I understand there's a different set of rules w/ shohin sometimes. What do you think?

Attachments

• 058-ed.jpg
    058-ed.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 77
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hmmm... to my mind, it's so perfectly "squatty" that inside curve branches mean relatively little. I actually prefer the branch.

No clue what you traded this for Jason... but I suspect you got the better end of the deal. I think it's really quite marvelous. It's always nice to be able to work on something which has a few years under it's belt, be it in the wild, or in someone else's hands.

I think I do like the lower potting virt, but it seems such a waste of great nebari. Plus one rarely looks at these trees exactly eye level, so I would imagine that having more exposure probably suits it just fine irl.

Nice acquisition....

Victrinia

Top Bottom