Shohin Clump Japanese Maple

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Very nice fall color and even more impressive with how good the leaves look this late in the year. Keeping J. Maple leaves in shape this long really separates the men from the boys. More and more how few can do it.

so what will the new pot be? my wants say oval.
Oval would be nice. Haven’t started looking for one yet, but that’s the fun part, right?

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great color on this clump, Brian. Do you know if the original seedlings were from cuttings? It's great that they all have the same color.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great color on this clump, Brian. Do you know if the original seedlings were from cuttings? It's great that they all have the same color.
Got it from Don Blackmond several years ago, and he didn’t really have any history on it. By the consistent growth rates, leaves, and how everything kinda grows out of one central mound, I’d guess they’re all part of one tree.9E557F21-8732-466D-B268-FA74033B473F.jpeg

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Got it from Don Blackmond several years ago, and he didn’t really have any history on it. By the consistent growth rates, leaves, and how everything kinda grows out of one central mound, I’d guess they’re all part of one tree.View attachment 464264
I've never really been a Maple fan but that color is fabulous, as is the tree.

Topdec

Yamadori
Reaction score
Beautiful tree Brian, for what it's worth I have some young JM and they look exactly like your foliage, over here the cultivar was labelled as 'going green'! I'm no expert though, just what it said on the labels!

Top Bottom