Shohin Clump Japanese Maple

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am no expert but somehow I think the feet on the pot is a bit high (long). I see a big space below the pot and the slab. I like that gap to be smaller like the old pot. Maybe just me.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the new pot has a lighter feel, better for the tree in my opinion. I'm also a big fan of Ikkou, though. Besides, that tree would make any pot look good!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm a lover of clumps...stunning material. What size is that pot? (For a size comparison of the piece.)

Maples always look great as clumps. I happen to love them too. A very natural growth form specially for maples and deciduous species in general.

Attachments

• 3ef0fb33ed686da454b6a849eb99187e.jpg
    3ef0fb33ed686da454b6a849eb99187e.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 287
  • d9f99101d55f49bbc322d539e856d937.jpg
    d9f99101d55f49bbc322d539e856d937.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 287

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm a lover of clumps...stunning material. What size is that pot? (For a size comparison of the piece.)
6.25" x 5" x 1.75". True shohin, at 8" tall.
I am no expert but somehow I think the feet on the pot is a bit high (long). I see a big space below the pot and the slab. I like that gap to be smaller like the old pot. Maybe just me.
I agree with you on this; and maybe it's the fact they're out front instead of out to the edges. As part of a larger group, it will add an element of variety and visual interest. Funny, too, that the feet are what make this pot an homage to Tofukuji. It's ok, although it may not be a permanent pairing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow...it's stunning. Gives one an idea of how wide the canopy is. Okay...so do clumps need a deeper pot? Since it's a Shohin...I'm only asking for mental vault information. I actually like the feet of the pot. Works with the silhouette of the pot I think. The lighting and moisture drops on the pot. This is just a beautiful shot of the pot/tree combo. My favorite of all shared.

image.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
SPRING Show???

It's 15 days out of June!!!

I likey the Koyo pot. Me wanty
Yeah, pretty sure the dates were originally set by Satsuki lovers, because that’s all that really looks good right now. Pines are still stretching out, so old needles look rough and new needles aren’t fully open, d-trees are still in the middle of their growth spurt, so you have to show them shaggy, or cut them off, and junipers are shedding old foliage. I pushed for a winter show once, but change bad.

That Koyo pot is nice. A Bnutter and fellow club member sold it to me after I struck out trying to find one, even going all the way to Mr. Aiba K himself on Facebook...though I suspect that was more a language barrier than lack of inventory!

Top Bottom