Shohin Cotoneaster - My New Obsession

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a little cotoneaster I bought at a local nursery. It started out about twice as tall, with multiple large, useless branches and a confused trunkline. I cut it WAY back and removed all superfluous branches, roots, and jammed it into this tiny little pot by Bonsai Fusion, not at all expecting the little tree to survive. Much to my surprise it flourished! Branches grew from everywhere, and every one of them had flowers! I wired all the little shoots into the general shape I was going for, and here is the result. Enjoy!front.jpeg hand.jpeg left.jpeg back.jpeg top.jpeg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That is nice! I love these trees!
The tiny flowers and then the little fruits.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
what is your plan for the tree?? I think it needs a bit of filling on the backside.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice tree! How long of project has this been?

Reaction score
Nice work, is a bonnie tree indeed, I would have been interested to see a before and after :) thanks for sharing tho :D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Real nice Brian!

Excellent in fact!

Sorce

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks all! Yeah, I really wish I had taken a before picture, but I had such a strong image of what I wanted in my head that it totally slipped my mind. I bought the tree in February, cut, styled and potted it all in the same day. Which is why I'm so surprised at it's development.

Yes, it needs filling out everywhere, and it will in time. But for now I'm quite pleased with it, and I went out and bought a few more to play with over the summer. I think this is one of my new favorite species for shohin...

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
What specific cotoneaster is this--it is nice.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How'd I miss this thread! It's a very nice and well thought out reduction. Lovely, I will have to keep my eyes peeled now. Thanks for posting it, and thanks for bringing it up to the top Max!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How'd I miss this thread! It's a very nice and well thought out reduction. Lovely, I will have to keep my eyes peeled now. Thanks for posting it, and thanks for bringing it up to the top Max!

Here is the one I got, it needs layering at least right below (or just above) the first left branch. I want to make a shohin.

Attachments

• IMG-20150525-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20150525-WA0011.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 142

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Max, go get something shorter and do your shohin with. Keep this one as informal upright, such nice graceful lines, and so close to wonderful as it is!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Max, go get something shorter and do your shohin with. Keep this one as informal upright, such nice graceful lines, and so close to wonderful as it is!
I might just do that... I will create a thread when I get it. Sorry for threadjacking!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks! I begrudgingly cut off all the developing fruit in an attempt to grow out some more branches :( But next year I'll let it fruit for sure!

Max, I'm not sure the tall cotoneaster would easily make a shohin. If it's all you've got, make a bunch of air layers and then plant them in the ground to thicken up a bit.

The picture shows some options for layering...cotoneaster layers.jpg

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Haha! Thanks! That's my Vanna White impression ;) One of the positives of being in the healthcare field and never really working in manual labor is I get to keep my beautiful nails...

Top Bottom