Shohin Cotoneaster

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'like to show my small Cotoneaster Dammeri.
As purchased in the summer of 2014
2014-07-28_220857 (2).jpg
summer of 2015, after some cutback
2015-05-30 bloeiend (2).JPG
Development went fast, completely overgrown last august.
IMG_4730.JPG
after cut back in august
IMG_4731.JPG
And how it is today, next spring repotting and maybe in the club show in april 2019
IMG_5236.JPG

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

While out hiking in remote areas I have occasionally run across some old gnarled apple trees left over from early farms, and this totally reminds me of them. All that is missing is the worm holes in the fruit and maybe the remnants of an old rock wall. ;-P

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
While out hiking in remote areas I have occasionally run across some old gnarled apple trees left over from early farms, and this totally reminds me of them. All that is missing is the worm holes in the fruit and maybe the remnants of an old rock wall. ;-P
The worm holes in the fruit are on the backside of the fruits......

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job. Love the few berries present. Like an apple tree after harvest.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update:
Repotted this small tree.
Got a great Yamafusa pot for it. I did not dare to put the tree in a much smaller pot at once. So I repotted in a less beautiful, slightly larger pot. Next year I hope to get it in its new pot.
IMG_1188.JPG IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1189.JPG
It's going to bloom, after that it must grow into shape for next year's club show.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Such a great little tree. How late in to the season will you cut your Cotoneaster back? Do you let growth go at some point in late summer early fall, or continue to trim all the way in to dormancy? I’ve got one I’m developing and wasn’t entirely sure the steps for a waxy leaf evergreen. Thanks!

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Such a great little tree. How late in to the season will you cut your Cotoneaster back? Do you let growth go at some point in late summer early fall, or continue to trim all the way in to dormancy? I’ve got one I’m developing and wasn’t entirely sure the steps for a waxy leaf evergreen. Thanks!
Still pruning, every other week or so.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It was time to repot this little tree again.
Although our show next month is cancelled due to some nasty virus, I was anxious to get it in the yamafusa pot I got for it.
Foto 17-03-2020 20 48 59.jpg

Foto 17-03-2020 20 49 02.jpg
Plenty of roots

The yamafusa is a great pot, but just not big enough to provide enough room for the roots
Foto 17-03-2020 21 43 55.jpg

Got this unglazed japanese handmade pot that was big enough. And I like it!

Foto 20-03-2020 15 40 43.jpg

Some changes were also made. It can move forward again!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like Yamafusa pots, but they tend to be on the shallow side. I think your alternate pot is actaully a better choice in both color and its mix of masculine and feminine traits. Nice composition.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like Yamafusa pots, but they tend to be on the shallow side. I think your alternate pot is actaully a better choice in both color and its mix of masculine and feminine traits. Nice composition.
Thanks. it is a choice of pot that I had to think about for a while, but when I saw tree and pot together I was quickly convinced. Like it very much!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I really like your Cotoneaster, Dirk. Was it originally grown for bonsai or was it just a typical nursery plant?

BTW, I like it better in the unglazed pot. Good choice!

Top Bottom