Shohin crabapple, ‘sargentii’

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't reverse my opinion. A tree can be stressed even if it is healthy. There are bonsai artists who say that old, finished specimens can be kept without repotting 20-25 years. This way, the tree will grow much slower and it's shape would be easier to keep. This is what I meant by "stressed", it is healthy but slowed down. You could have figured that out if you read what I wrote without being so angry because some newbie criticised you. The rank and time spent on this forum don't matter, the ideas do. Or do you think that people who are not old characters here can have an opinion? I'm sure there are great bonsai artists who don't come on this forum

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't reverse my opinion. A tree can be stressed even if it is healthy. There are bonsai artists who say that old, finished specimens can be kept without repotting 20-25 years. This way, the tree will grow much slower and it's shape would be easier to keep. This is what I meant by "stressed", it is healthy but slowed down. You could have figured that out if you read what I wrote without being so angry because some newbie criticised you. The rank and time spent on this forum don't matter, the ideas do. Or do you think that people who are not old characters here can have an opinion? I'm sure there are great bonsai artists who don't come on this forum
o_O

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't reverse my opinion. A tree can be stressed even if it is healthy. There are bonsai artists who say that old, finished specimens can be kept without repotting 20-25 years. This way, the tree will grow much slower and it's shape would be easier to keep. This is what I meant by "stressed", it is healthy but slowed down. You could have figured that out if you read what I wrote without being so angry because some newbie criticised you. The rank and time spent on this forum don't matter, time in the garden does. Or do you think that people who are not old characters here can have an opinion? I'm sure there are great bonsai artists who don't come on this forum
FTFY

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are bonsai artists who say that old, finished specimens can be kept without repotting 20-25 years.
Your own experience? or hearsay?

nice thing about Brian is that he has experience, and has shown time and again that he has some idea of what he is doing...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

But a moron in a garden isn't going to come up with new ideas, no matter how long he watches plants. Yes.....he.. Iol!

@Vali I have been thinking about this a lot lately.
I think most people are here to point their finger at some old code like, "no this, no this"...mostly those old folks who have been doing bonsai the same way for 40 years.

Some are here to gloat and brag, and point their "this" finger.

Few, like myself, are actually here to generate new ideas.

Thanks for thinking!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your own experience? or hearsay?

nice thing about Brian is that he has experience, and has shown time and again that he has some idea of what he is doing...

Your answer is in what he or she wrote, what you quoted.

This person isn't going against Brian either.

C'mon y'all.

Sorce

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I respect him too, as I respect everyone. All this nonsense started with me affirming that I think he is repotting it too often. I don't think that was disrepectfull.

Few, like myself, are actually here to generate new ideas.

I am really glad to see that someone thinks this way.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some are here to gloat and brag, and point their "this" finger.

Few, like myself, are actually here to generate new ideas

Forgive my anger, I don't want to sound like only the new idea people are good.

I think it's important for everyone to know these different groups of individuals exist, so when we communicate with each other, it can stay above water.

I have been watching these things spiral out of control because of slight differences in good opinions. Ridiculous Misunderstandings.

After which, no one gets to do what they wish here and everyone fails.....

The Old Code, The Braggadocio, The New Idears, The Stupid Newbs lol!, The Son of a Bitch talking bout streetdogs.....

I wish for everyone to win, not fail.

Sorce

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Updating a few threads today. Here is the crab pruned and wired. With a little more ramification, it should be good to allow to fruit.
View attachment 280457
Bring this thread back to the tree =). Brian, what's your approach to building ramification with crab apples? I have one from Brent a couple years behind this one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one from Brent a couple years behind this one

Can we get a picture?

This, "a couple of years behind" is one of those things, where the opinion can range so greatly, it must be coupled with a picture.

For instance, is it like this was when Brian got it? Needing one year back, and one year forward?

Need One year of top trunk lead to have the trunk with the branches in place already?

A seed?

A full branch on a tree to be layered?

Please, for this reason, what is your personal definition of 2 years behind?

Sorce

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can we get a picture?

This, "a couple of years behind" is one of those things, where the opinion can range so greatly, it must be coupled with a picture.

For instance, is it like this was when Brian got it? Needing one year back, and one year forward?

Need One year of top trunk lead to have the trunk with the branches on place already?

A seed?

A fill branch on a tree to be layered?

Sorce
At work now, I'll try to upload a picture tonight. I have a trunk and primary branches in place.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great little Crab, Brian. The pot pairs well with it. Crabapples are difficult to get fine twigging and ramification so I’m looking forward to seeing how this develops under your care.
I don’t think that there is any offense intended. Brian has been on this forum for a long time and has the track record and trees to prove his knowledge and skill level. This does not mean that we’re not open to newcomers. On the contrary, we are very welcoming and encourage new members. Newcomers bring new energy and enthusiasm to the forum and for the hobby in general. However, you must realize that we often get newbies spouting misinformation. This isn’t to say that you don’t know what you’re talking about. There are many different ways to skin a cat and there are thousands of ways and techniques to to do bonsai (and many of them are valid even if they seem to be in opposition to each other). You may very well be a bonsai master. We have no idea. And that is what Brian is saying. We haven’t seen your work to know if what you’re saying holds any value. Show us your trees and show us some of the techniques that you employ on them so that we can get to know you and are able to consider your advice and criticisms are coming from a place of expertise and real world bonsai knowledge.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We haven’t seen your work to know if what you’re saying holds any value. Show us your trees and show us some of the techniques that you employ on them so that we can get to know you and are able to consider your advice and criticisms are coming from a place of expertise and real world bonsai knowledge.

I am not a bonsai master, just a person passionate about them. Once again, please read what I said. It started with a question and some other opinions followed. Is it so hard to answer a QUESTION CALMLY? I am not going to show anything because it is absolutely irrelevant. If some people think so highly of themselves that they consider the rookies are unworthy of their threads, they should write that at the beginning. I'm leaving this thread because this kind of mood is not for me. Some people should learn to be openminded and respect an opinion, no matter who gives it. Morality - think about this word

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is it with people showing up, making odd comments and getting annoyed when people ask where they are coming from, claiming

people should learn to be openminded and respect an opinion, no matter who gives it

Experience counts for something.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow this thread went downhill just like the forest thread a couple days ago. It's really starting to get ridiculous.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m not angry or averse to criticism, and reading back, I can’t see where my replies suggest it. Those were your words, and If we have met, I don’t know it. You have the advantage of still being anonymous, while my name and work is out there.

Now, it isn’t an accurate comparison to suggest treating “brand-new” bonsai the same as “old finished specimens”. Yes, as I said in Post #36, old, finished specimens can go many years between repottings; particularly conifers like pines and junipers. But this tree needs to be tamed a bit more before it can go years between repotting. That taming process includes increasing density, slowing down root growth (leading to less-frequent repots), and allowing flowering spurs to form on branches close to the trunk and remain.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can we get a picture?

Need One year of top trunk lead to have the trunk with the branches in place already?

A seed?

A full branch on a tree to be layered?

Sorce

As promised, nothing spectacular but has some interesting bones. It probably needs some additional buds to pop in key places. There is a bit of a root collar under the surface soil.

IMG_4903.jpgIMG_4901.jpg

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe it’s just me, but the reason I pursue bonsai is to seek tranquility and enlightenment, not to have arch opinions or make sharp judgements. This “show me your trees” rhetoric is essentially equivalent to “drop your pants, because mine is bigger than yours”. One might ask for clarification before jumping to a conclusion about someone else’s post. Typing into a box doesn’t carry tone of voice, and we need to choose our words accordingly.
In the two years or so that I’ve been on this forum, this much I have observed to be true: we collectively do a shit job of responding to innocent or ignorant questions from people new to the hobby and new to this forum. There have been a lot of new posters chased off because people give them a hard time when they’re asking a question in good faith.
Is it not maybe a better idea to respectfully engage a new poster, and try to help them be successful, rather than using a tennis racket for a rhetorical fly swatter? We might perhaps bear in mind Guinevere’s admonition to Lancelot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As promised

A well deserved thanks for your diligence.

I personally think you can lop either trunk or none, though lopping one would make it "easier".

And a tilt to get movement out the soil.

Lotta options. Difficult even!

Nice.

Sorce

Top Bottom