Shohin Crabapple Transformation

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
This is one of my crabapples needing a change. The only part that really has any interest is the base and lower trunk.

View attachment 15947

I removed the wire scarred branch on the left and took a look from a bunch of different angles to see if it was worth keeping the R trunk which made the whole thing look like the letter "d".

View attachment 15948

I decided to take it off and allow for new shoots to take its place. After the removal and the new shoots began to develop, I played around with shaping the new shoots into some different shapes. I wanted to integrate movement with the branches and new leader with the contortion of the base.

View attachment 15949

I left it alone until this spring. I made just a few adjustments and I'll keep developing it from there.

View attachment 15950
View attachment 15951

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is an interesting piece, indeed. If you are aiming for Shohin (approx 12") I think it will look very nice by time it gets there. By the size of your thumb this only appears to be 3-4" tall at the stump. Your branches are already thickening in and you have a shoot going straight up. I would be tempted to let that leader grow unchecked, using what you have as the bottom of a nice trunk, still being built. I'm sure you have either considered that or are going a different direction with your intended movement. Wish I had a nice starting place like this one. After the previous removals, this tree looks to be on a good track.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
John where are you, I ask because this looks a little too wet, might want to loose the moss, malus in general like water, but the moss might be keeping it too wet.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Catfish, thank you for the compliment. I agree, the roots are what makes it unique. It's going to be interesting to see the branch development...I'll keep you guys posted on the progress

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks sfhellwig I agree, 100% to let the primary leader grow out. I really want to see how I can continue the branch and leader development in a way that fits into the contortions of the trunk...as opposed to letting it grow straight out.

Hi Bill S. I live in S.E. PA, and the weather has been off and on; we've had some days of near 80 degrees and sun, yet today it's cloudy, rainy and 50-ish. The main reason I used the moss is because I use a fairly fast draining soil and the way the weather has been, and the way my schedule has been it just gives me a bit of peace-of-mind. What I do 2x daily is pull a piece of moss off and with my finger check the soil dampness.

Top Bottom