Shohin crabapple with fruit

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to share a few pics of my Crabapple that I took today. This tree is about 4.5" from its base. Thanks for looking! :)

CRABAPPLEAUTUMN2012.jpg

CRABAPPLEAUTUMN2012CLOSEUP2.jpg

CRABAPPLEAUTUMN2012CLOSEUP1.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those look like marchino cherries they are so bright. What a lovely image, and what are those wonderful little things growing red tips in the soil?

And what a perfect match with your pot.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those look like marchino cherries they are so bright. What a lovely image, and what are those wonderful little things growing red tips in the soil?

And what a perfect match with your pot.

Thanks Judy! They are indeed bright. It did help that for the photo I put a bit of olive oil on the fruit to shine them up and make them a little sexier :cool:

The little red things you see is Cladonia Cristatella a type of lichen. It is commonly known as British Soldier moss :)

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sweet tree

Thanks Smoke! I actually never really liked this tree... until I decided to go for it and carved it out from head to toe. It now looks much more interesting to me. Before it just looked like a short, fat cylinder.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fruit looks like mariceno cherries. Very nice.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Awesome! In my opinion, crabapples are much more interesting when carved as they remind me of the apple orchards of my youth in Sebastopol, CA. This tree deserves a better pot though. Something rustic in oval or round perhaps.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome! In my opinion, crabapples are much more interesting when carved as they remind me of the apple orchards of my youth in Sebastopol, CA. This tree deserves a better pot though. Something rustic in oval or round perhaps.

Thanks Brian! It only took me many years to realize that this tree may be improved with a little bit of carving. Better late than never! :D

I will definitely consider your suggestion for pot choice.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wonderful tree. Great job!

The fruits are hypnotizing...calling me to take a bite...

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice little tree! Awesome base established already, but I can't wait to see what you do with the branching. I found a picture of a crabapple on a Japanese site recently -- thing was full of fruit and looks amazing.

I really like the carving on this. Have you treated it with anything? I think I remember hearing something about crabapples being prone to rot or something. . . ?

1210_003_1.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice little tree! Awesome base established already, but I can't wait to see what you do with the branching. I found a picture of a crabapple on a Japanese site recently -- thing was full of fruit and looks amazing.

I really like the carving on this. Have you treated it with anything? I think I remember hearing something about crabapples being prone to rot or something. . . ?

Thanks Alex! Although no doubt this little guy could have more ramification, the aim for me here was to create a certain wabi-sabi between fruits and the old trunk. For the moment I am enjoying the simplicity of the image :) BTW I love that crab from Japan... beautiful!!

I have not treated the carved area yet, but I plan to as soon as I do a little more work on it :rolleyes:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have not treated the carved area yet, but I plan to as soon as I do a little more work on it
I hope you won't yet...let mother nature put the finishing touches first ;) Exposed, the wood crack easily and adds character to the deadwood fast.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Alex! Although no doubt this little guy could have more ramification, the aim for me here was to create a certain wabi-sabi between fruits and the old trunk. For the moment I am enjoying the simplicity of the image :) BTW I love that crab from Japan... beautiful!!

I have not treated the carved area yet, but I plan to as soon as I do a little more work on it :rolleyes:
Ahh, I see what you're talking about. I think I'm still in the school of thought where a fuller, denser canopy and massive ramification is a main objective. I hadn't thought much about the simplicity of an image, but it makes perfect sense. It does have this attractiveness to it, doesn't it?

Looking back, I see these "simple" images all the time in Japanese bonsai -- especially in pear trees. I guess I just never paid them much attention. lol

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Am interested in seeing a photo before carving... that is if you have any.
I really like this little tree.
Thanks for sharing.
NN

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ahh, I see what you're talking about. I think I'm still in the school of thought where a fuller, denser canopy and massive ramification is a main objective. I hadn't thought much about the simplicity of an image, but it makes perfect sense. It does have this attractiveness to it, doesn't it?

Looking back, I see these "simple" images all the time in Japanese bonsai -- especially in pear trees. I guess I just never paid them much attention. lol

Alex what I'm referring to, in my opinion works best mainly in mame and shohin sizes. For bigger sized deciduous trees, I'm with you that I like nice trunks with beautifully ramified canopies :D

I saw once, in some Japanese site, a shohin apple tree with only one branch and a full sized apple hanging from it. The image was simple and striking!!

Top Bottom