Shohin crabapple with fruit

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At our old property the guys that took care of the Orchard told me in casual conversation in the Spring that if the trees go into fruit healthy and get proper fertilizers throughout growing season they will come out of fruiting healthy. I raised the question to them regarding potted trees and they told me "why would it be any different". Honest in Bonsai I think we get a little to concerned sometimes. *just something to try that seems to work*

Grimmy

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. I am repotting it back into a small training pot to grow it out. A couple of months ago I tried to pry it off a frozen bench and fell braking one of its main branches. I will be cutting off all of its flowers this year in order to prioritize growth.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sad to hear.

Honestly though, 9 times out of 10 after an incident where a part of the tree is broken off, some time later it turns out better than before. Hope that's the case with this one.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Joe. I am repotting it back into a small training pot to grow it out. A couple of months ago I tried to pry it off a frozen bench and fell braking one of its main branches. I will be cutting off all of its flowers this year in order to prioritize growth.

Sorry to hear but happy to know I am not the only one that repots frozen trees ;)

Grimmy

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I really want a crab apple, and yours fit the bill.........

seriously great tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry to hear but happy to know I am not the only one that repots frozen trees ;)

Grimmy

Sorry Grimmy unsure as to what you mean by repotting frozen trees?? My tree was stuck frozen to the bench but I was not trying to repot it.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry Grimmy unsure as to what you mean by repotting frozen trees?? My tree was stuck frozen to the bench but I was not trying to repot it.

I did not have enough coffee in me when I read your post :confused: I have however repotted frozen for similar reasons and all worked out.

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
OUch. Loved that pot. And the tree in the pot... Hope you can find another great combo, and the tree recovers well.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
OUch. Loved that pot. And the tree in the pot... Hope you can find another great combo, and the tree recovers well.

Yes it is a shame Judy but the pot was a cheapie that I got for free although admittedly it worked very well. I have no big worries for the tree as I'm sure it will grow well again and then I'll have to look into a redesign in a couple of years perhaps.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes it is a shame Judy but the pot was a cheapie that I got for free although admittedly it worked very well. I have no big worries for the tree as I'm sure it will grow well again and then I'll have to look into a redesign in a couple of years perhaps.
Redesign ever happen?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, although I abandoned the plan and reverted back to its original structure just more developed. Still ways to go on this one.
You know, sometimes the most simple shohin work best. I always try to create ramification and structure, but then I see pics of when they were simpler, and I like the simplistic frame almost as much or better sometimes. When I see Haruyosi trees they are always simple but yet so stunning in their form that it's perfection. I wonder sometimes if I'm trying to make more of things than what would be better simpler. Do you ever feel this way about shohin?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You know, sometimes the most simple shohin work best. I always try to create ramification and structure, but then I see pics of when they were simpler, and I like the simplistic frame almost as much or better sometimes. When I see Haruyosi trees they are always simple but yet so stunning in their form that it's perfection. I wonder sometimes if I'm trying to make more of things than what would be better simpler. Do you ever feel this way about shohin?

Absolutely! The old adage that less is more in shohin applies for certain. In some ways much more difficult to attain than doing something more complex. In the case of my crabapple, I was trying to force myself too much onto the tree. I instead took the back seat and let it guide me.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to share a few pics of my Crabapple that I took today. This tree is about 4.5" from its base. Thanks for looking! :)

CRABAPPLEAUTUMN2012.jpg

CRABAPPLEAUTUMN2012CLOSEUP2.jpg

CRABAPPLEAUTUMN2012CLOSEUP1.jpg

Think this was one of the first threads that brought me to the forum as a lurker:)

at around the time, i had a shohin crab apple. i got a lot of inspiration from this tree, through seeing it in the google searches.

Nice little crab you have there! great progression:cool:

Top Bottom